Need to replace a valve on a short PEX pipe- any hope to DIY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Shinysquid

Reaction score
Hello - I found an issue with my water intake valve where there is a drip from the valve when the water is on.
It drips from the right most side of the valve where there is a horizontal line/cutout. The valve seems to be one solid piece with no removable parts so I think my only fix for this is to completely replace the valve...

However, looking at the PEX that is coming out of the wall, there is basically no room to work with. I tried pulling on the pipe a bit to see if there is anymore length but there is not.

Is this possible for me to DIY? If I buy a tool to cut the blue ring, get a new valve- would I still be able to reuse the expanded PEX pipe with a crimp ring? Any advice is appreciated ... maybe I should just call a plumber when it gets worse haha

pexpipe2.jpg
pexpipe.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. If you gently tug on the valve, does more PEX come out of the wall?

One thing I would consider is to get a thin escutcheon to replace the thicker one. Maybe a split one, depending on what you find.

Then I might get a non-expansion PEX fitting (F1807), and use a clamp ring on the cut-back PEX. That lets you get things positioned before clamping. You might have to pull the bowl to give tool access.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if your stop leaks a piggyback sounds useless. Is it a bad supply line connection ? I do see Teflon tape that shouldn't be there

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
if your stop leaks a piggyback sounds useless. Is it a bad supply line connection ? I do see teflon tape that shouldnt be there
I agree. I was thinking it was leaking when the valve was as shut and the supply line was off. Defiantly try with no Teflon and maybe a little more tightening to start.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks