My Kitchen Sink Is really close to my drain. So I can't put in a Dish Washer in to the Drain Line.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by cyphergt, Oct 14, 2019.

1. cyphergt

cyphergt New Member

So as you can see in the images below my sink drain is really close to my drain line so I have no idea how I could install a drain line for a dish washer. I'm thinking maybe if I get a smaller drain I may be able to fit it but I don't that I could find anything that would be so much smaller that it could make a difference. Any ideas, websites, hardware or suggestions are greatly welcome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Your photos are not visible to us.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. cyphergt

cyphergt New Member

I fixed the photo issue sorry

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You can extend the trap for the sink and swivel back to catch it. That gives room to place a tee fitting for the dishwasher between the wall and the trap.

7. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

While I don't love Terry's idea, I can't say I haven't done that same thing..

But.. just to see if there isn't a way to get a tee between the trap and the basket.. Measure exactly the distance between the bottom of the Sink and the top of the slip joint nut on the trap. Maybe by installing a shorter basket strainer, with a direct connect DW Wye.. you might be able to make that up.. its a long shot.. but.

8. hj

hj Master Plumber

Plumber
    You do not want to connect the dishwasher between the wall and the trap, because that means it would NOT have trap in it. there are much shorter drains, which combined with a 'low inlet trap', if necessary, would solve your problem.

9. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    BK makes a really short basket. It's always been my go-to part for those situations.

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  10. Tuttles Revenge

With a typical short strainer and a typical direct connect wye... I have 5" from the sink to the top of the trap nut. Maybe a more shallow strainer and a shorter wye.. but that's the best mock up I have.

11. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    This is what Terry is recommending:

Lately, there seems to be many posts with the the height of the drain at the wall, especially after a remodel with more moderned deep sinks. However, I notice that most have these deep basket drains that places the slip nut about 2 inches lower than a shallow one.

What you probably have on the left and replace it with the one on the right. Use a tail piece that has the connection up on the upper collar and you will have to trim a inch or two off that inserts into the trap. It should give you plenty of room. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-3...t-Strainer-and-Rubber-Stopper-D1125/306002485

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Plumb...ocphy=9053092&hvtargid=pla-313308507326&psc=1

12. cyphergt

cyphergt New Member

Wow I just looked at this just now and I have a ton of ideas thank you everyone I will keep you posted.

13. Tuttles Revenge

The top fitting is a swivel adapter so the trap can be removed and maintained.

20191016_104307-edit.jpg

20191016_104307.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019