My Flange is rusted apart

Users who are viewing this thread

hartless

Reaction score
Hi, My toilet, was wobbling last week. I tightened down one side of the bowl, and when I went to tighten the other side the nut kept turning and the bolt came up without stopping. I thought it was off of the flange, and since the UPC toilet keeps plugging up, and was 10 years old, I decided this morning to by an American Standard toilet to replace. Now The previous onwer of the house installed tile flooring in the bathroom, about two years ago, So I thought to myself, maybe he did not raise the flange and that could be a problem, so I purchased a raised flange piece to increase the height ( a white palstice ring). Anyway, I took out the toilet, and discovered that the flange is totally destroyed by rust. It is set in the concrete floor. My question is. How do I remove this rusted and destroyed Flange, And what do I do to install. The Tile is cut out around the flange, so it does not sit on the tile.

Any help would be appreciated.

hartless

Reaction score
I went to see aplumber down the street from me to see if he would replace the flange for me. Told me to use a toilet flange repair ring. which he gave me from his truck, and said to call him if it doesn't work. Free!!! told me how to do it too. It seems pretty slick, it's a stainless steel 2 piece ringthat you take out a screw and place around the plastic portion, and then put the screw back in to make into a circle. And then I just have to screw into the floor!

hartless

Reaction score
Sorry, but can someone tell me what type of screws, and anchors I need for the flange repair ring? It is into concrete and ceramic floor!

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sure,

Go to the hardware store and pick up a Bosch rotohammer and a 1/4" bit for it.
In the next isle, buy some concrete anchors that tap in.

hartless

Reaction score
Ok, I got the rusted piece of flange off. Now most of the concrete was chipped away from the flange pipe itself. The rusted flange was only on about 1/3 or less of concrete to rest on, and that was on mostly one side.

Do I use some concret patch to fill in were the voids are around the pipe level to wear the concrete is now, so the flange can sit 100% on a smooth surface. I have a batch of high strength concrete patch, and wonder if this is good to do. I am assuming it is? And do i fill it in entirely?

Thanks In advance. By the way, however put the toilet on over the tiles they put in didn't even have a wax ring on the toilet, would that have caused to ring to rust away?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks