Moldy floor near toilet, is it the seal or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Posting for a friend from Pittsburgh who is trying to determine a fix for this. Mold has been showing up near the toilet bowl, but the floor is dry. A bit confusing as normally you would think it's from the toilet seal.

cookie.jpg

moldyfloor.jpg

Mold to the right of the bowl.

15237-01.jpg

15237-02.jpg

15237-03.jpg

Water streaking on the wall. But feels dry.

15237-front.jpg

Going to look at the roof gutters and roof to see if that's the issue too.

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Could they have dropped some makeup or something in the area of the staining? My kids got some Crayola paint on the old linoleum and it transferred like crazy. My wife keeps telling it is mold. I keep telling her it is Crayola paint.

I am assuming you pulled the toilet. If not, it could also be there was water under the toilet and wicked laterally under the waterproof layer.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The wax ring is leaking and the subfloor wicked up the moister and started to mold. That vinyl flooring has a paper backing. It also sucks up water and starts to mold. The vinyl top layer is very thin and translucent. The picture of what looks like the ceiling is from too much moisture after showers with not enough ventilation. If this is a second floor bath, that ceiling corner has little insulation behind it because of all the wood framing, therefore, during winter months it is a cold spot that will cause more condensation. Doubtful it is a roof leak. A roof leak the staining would start at the base molding, not at the toilet.

Peterson

Reaction score
The wax ring has failed and the linoleum tile is absorbing the water, leading to a discoloring of the tile. You are going to have to pull the toilet and replace the linoleum. You will want to look at the underside of the toilet to make sure there are no cracks in the porcelain which could also cause the leaks as well.

I bet the streaking on the wall is from taking hot showers without the fan on or the window open. Water condenses on the walls, and the condensation runs down, making streak marks on the paint. I have the same issue in my house.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
15237-04.jpg

She had a plumber come out and pull the toilet. This is what that looks like. Hard to see here though.

The ring itself was stuck to the toilet, in bunches on the floor, it was a mess and the floor sub floor is wet , raised somewhat and soft in a spot. He sprayed it with Lysol.. the floor is moldy

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Too bad she has some water damage. On the bright side, if the toilet is the source, she can fix the damage and move on with certainty. Tracking down external leaks can be a real pain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks