main control valve off, bladder tank still sending water

Users who are viewing this thread

ktrusty

Reaction score
have a 15 year old house i just moved into which has a standard well/bladder tank setup. i shut off the main water control valve (on the line coming in from the well) and when i turn on the faucets, i still get water (until the bladder tank empties)

the house i just moved out of had basically the same setup, but when i turned off the main control valve, i didn't get any water out of the faucets.

it is not the control valve leaking, because eventually the pressure at the faucet dies out and the water will stop flowing.

what should i do to fix this? i dont want to have to drain the pressure from the bladder tank in case of an emergency leak, that doesn't seem right.

any help would be appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you have is entirely normal. The whole purpose of the bladder tank is to store water under pressure so the pump doesn't need to run with any draw. To get what you want, you'd need to either relocate the shutoff to the outlet of the tank, or add a new one there.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Assuming a submersible pump... The valve being before the pressure tank, and probably the pressure switch is a serious no no. If you close the valve and use water, the switch sees the pressure fall to the cut in switch setting and that turns on the pump against the shut off valve, that can cause the pump to blow off drop pipe or cause other leaks and it's not good for the pump.

The valve needs to be moved to the house side of the pressure tank unless you have a jet pump. then as Jim says, you need another valve on the house side of the pressure tank.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

The purpose of the tank is to supply water between pump cycles. It is SUPPOSED to provide water until it is empty. If your previous one did not, the shut off valve was after the tank, or the tank was defective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks