Low flange, which option

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Got an old cast iron flange here, when they remodeled the flange ended up low, and the flange isnt exactly level left to right either. Pipe looks to be 4”.

Tried the extra large wax ring, it doesnt compress, its probably the perfect height to just barely touch bottom of toilet, so id need a ring at least another quarter inch taller

So, which of these would be both acceptable and easiest:

A) get that Danco no-wax rubber ring
B) get a flange extender that stacks on top (but what about the lean?) and donuts down in the cast iron
C) get radical, cut cast iron flange off, screw a new one to a leveled concrete floor with the donut down in the pipe
D) you tell me

Im leaning A if its acceptable. I would do B if the current flange was level. I think its off at least 1/8” left to right so im concerned with stacking.

Reach4

Reaction score
Depends on things. Don't do C.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/advice-on-installing-entrada.78550/#post-572625

You can mold wax to the shape you need to account for the slope. Maybe mold the bottom one to make a level base for the top one.

DANCO Model 10672X is Hydroseat. It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put a normal wax ring or more under it. I used to think you put another ring on top, but I see they are planning that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for the feet. You may be able to use the holes not on the feet to hold it down, but I am not sure.

The multiple wax rings are probably simplest if you place your shims before you drop the toilet. You want to squish wax, and not un-squish wax.

two_wax_rings_wood.jpg

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
This toilet doesnt need shimmed

The double wax ring thing should work.

I saw that Danco but Im not a big fan of its design so I passed on it

Thanks for answering so quickly

Reach4

Reaction score
Shims are to prevent rocking. Rocking is bad for wax.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Right but the new tile floor is flat here, its just the old recessed flange that isnt level, no rocking problem with this toilet

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many toilets aren't perfectly flat, nor, are most tiled floors. If yours is perfectly stable, it's probably the exception rather than the norm. As stated, wax isn't resilient, and ANY movement after setting can cause a gap to allow sewer gasses and, during a backup, waste to leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks