1920's CI toilet flange needs extending to meet new finished floor

Users who are viewing this thread

ED-HOMETEK

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just joined this website but have learned a LOT from it in the past few years.

Am remodeling a friend's 1/2 bath that was built in the 1920s: the 1950s era toilet was sort of "smushed" on to a tall wax ring (below old finished floor) with closet bolts apparently under the original cut outs in the cast iron flange.

The flange and closet bend appear to be a single piece of pipe, bedded in concrete.
3 1/2 inch I.D, but the inside of the pipe is anything but smooth, cast iron "carbuncles, barnacles", whatever, visible on the "shallow side" of bend's I.D.
Soil stack is about 2 feet away and has embossed letters boasting that it's "weight is 8 pounds per foot". No leaks reported by owner.

Bought an Oatey universal toilet flange repair kit, that says it should be sealed to a CI flange with silicone caulk. also bought Oatey's spacer ring kit that lets you incrementally raise height off of their universal repair ring.

A photo is attached. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

coelcanth

Reaction score
hello,
my 1920s bathroom has the exact same 1" hex tile floor set in concrete as yours, so maybe there's more in common here too..
also a 14" rough in for an antique wall mounted tank with separate floor mounted bowl.
the flange here is bronze just above the level of the original finished tile floor. the waste bend is a one piece 4" smooth lead pipe that goes into a hub in the cast iron waste stack. the waste bend is sort of flared against the inside of the closet flange and was then soldered with lead.

your photo sort of looks like what my arrangement would if someone pulled off the closet flange and just left the end of the old lead waste bend sticking down in the floor without any flange.

if it is perhaps lead, there is a couple (somewhat difficult) ways to repair it
here's a video of an old school guy doing it the right way:

ED-HOMETEK

Reaction score
hello,
my 1920s bathroom has the exact same 1" hex tile floor set in concrete as yours, so maybe there's more in common here too..
also a 14" rough in for an antique wall mounted tank with separate floor mounted bowl.
the flange here is bronze just above the level of the original finished tile floor. the waste bend is a one piece 4" smooth lead pipe that goes into a hub in the cast iron waste stack. the waste bend is sort of flared against the inside of the closet flange and was then soldered with lead.

your photo sort of looks like what my arrangement would if someone pulled off the closet flange and just left the end of the old lead waste bend sticking down in the floor without any flange.

if it is perhaps lead, there is a couple (somewhat difficult) ways to repair it
here's a video of an old school guy doing it the right way:
Thank you; I had wondered if the original flange was removed. The flange above the floor DOES have a pair of slots where I found brass closet bolts. Probably best to call in a pro for this...the bend and flange all appear to be CI, but the abandoned drain at the lavatory IS definitely lead. Great video BTW..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im thinking its a lead bend he has and not cast iron.
Yea that Brooklyn Plumber been around I poured lead on a few closet rings cast iron to cast iron but never lead bends
I came up a bit late for the work he showed I guess he either did a lot of repair or NYC was slow to allow no hub.

ED-HOMETEK

Reaction score
Im thinking its a lead bend he has and not cast iron.
Yea that Brooklyn Plumber been around I poured lead on a few closet rings cast iron to cast iron but never lead bends
I came up a bit late for the work he showed I guess he either did a lot of repair or NYC was slow to allow no hub.
Thanks, but, It's definitely cast iron: lots of "rust barnacles" on the inside walll of the closet bend, magnet pulls towards it, so it is CI, not Lead.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks