Leaking Tub/Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Leak2017

Reaction score
Hello All - My skills are it the DIY level, need advice.

I'll try to be brief. Shower drain clogged and I used plunger to clear, worked great. Next, I noticed ceiling downstairs wet after anyone took shower, Opened ceiling and found that shower drain had female threadded connector, but drain pipe had no threads and was just touching the shower drain. There was plumbers putty around the "connection" which is why it did not leak. I assume the water pressure created by the plunger blew the putty out of place and hence the leak.

I could just put more putty on but I would like to fix it right. How would I go about connecting the unthreadded copper pipe to the thredded metal shower drain? Thank you in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
wp4-32-6.jpg
2" Copper x Male Adapter

If you post a photo, you might get more info. There can be alternatives.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are describing the leak to at the blob to the right of B. There is also a deficiency in the E, F area. That should have had a washer and nut.

img_2.jpg

Leak2017

Reaction score
Yes, you are correct - the leak is at the connector to the right of B, covered by the blob. Here is another pic of the area, blob removed.

shower3.resized.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The waste and overflow on a tub drain is threaded together. You should remove the drain from inside the tub, remove it at the tee and dope and reassemble it.

tub-drain-leak-06.jpg

tub-drain-leak-04.jpg

Leak2017

Reaction score
Thanks Terry - I understand that bit I still have the original problem that there are no threads on the pipe going into the female threaded shower drain. I must be missing something here. I included another pic. The drain is out and you have a good look at the pipe. I was able to loosen the nut at the other end but it seems the pipe is solidly in there regardless.

shower4.resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The part you took apart in the above picture is called waste/overflow shoe.
Get a new one, they come in brass or PVC - $10 or $2 - and you'll be leak-free.
On the other end, use an adjustable wrench to rotate the brass pipe a few times in circular motions, and it come out.

Leak2017

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I am off to the Depot during lunch for parts. Hopefully can post another pic of the completed job soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks