Leaking Nibco #52 Outdoor Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

tommy7

Reaction score
Pretty sure the washer needs replacing but not sure how to get to it. There is a screw on the handle, but when removed, the knob just opens and closes. I tugged a little bit, but it didn't budge. Is there a secret or am I just not pulling hard enough. Pictures below. Thanks in advance!

nibco-hosebib-1.jpg

nibco-hosebib-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom B

Reaction score
I have this same sillcock. Want to confirm that once the handle is off and the packing nut is removed, that you just put the handle back on and turn the valve counter clockwise to remove the stem? Mine is really difficult and I may need to use a wrench so I wanted to confirm before applying significant pressure. Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure the washer needs replacing but not sure how to get to it. There is a screw on the handle, but when removed, the knob just opens and closes. I tugged a little bit, but it didn't budge. Is there a secret or am I just not pulling hard enough. Pictures below. Thanks in advance!

nibco-hosebib-1.jpg

nibco-hosebib-2.jpg

DrCarl

Reaction score
I have this same sillcock. Want to confirm that once the handle is off and the packing nut is removed, that you just put the handle back on and turn the valve counter clockwise to remove the stem? Mine is really difficult and I may need to use a wrench so I wanted to confirm before applying significant pressure. Thanks in advance!

I have the same question and concern. Ok to force it counter clockwise?

AdamLD

Reaction score
I just did the fix on two of these originally installed in the mid 70's. Once you've got the packing nut off, reattach the handle and turn counter-clockwise to fully disengage the valve threads. Note that there may be packing material between the packing nut and the washer and this may impart friction. On one of the faucets I thought it was dried plumber's putty and scraped it out first; on the other I was able to remove it intact and reuse it. Neither faucet leaks now but I wonder if the one with just the washer (pictured) will start to leak through the packing nut.

20220331_115357.jpg

ZSLS

Reaction score
I am also dealing with an old Nibco Figure 52 that is leaking around the handle. I'm not able to remove the handle itself - I can unscrew the small screw and metal washer on the front of the handle but then what? Based on the prior responses in this thread, it sounds like the handle should come off somehow and THEN I can remove the packing nut. But is there anything in specific that I should do to remove the handle itself?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

ZSLS

Reaction score
I just did the fix on two of these originally installed in the mid 70's. Once you've got the packing nut off, reattach the handle and turn counter-clockwise to fully disengage the valve threads. Note that there may be packing material between the packing nut and the washer and this may impart friction. On one of the faucets I thought it was dried plumber's putty and scraped it out first; on the other I was able to remove it intact and reuse it. Neither faucet leaks now but I wonder if the one with just the washer (pictured) will start to leak through the packing nut.

View attachment 82410
Ah, meant to respond to the post above, so I'm reposting my question here:

I am also dealing with an old Nibco Figure 52 that is leaking around the handle. I'm not able to remove the handle itself - I can unscrew the small screw and metal washer on the front of the handle but then what? Based on the prior responses in this thread, it sounds like the handle should come off somehow and THEN I can remove the packing nut. But is there anything in specific that I should do to remove the handle itself?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

ZSLS

Reaction score
Pull hard and wiggle at the same time.
Thanks, that did the trick. I was just too cautious at first.

I was able to pull out the internals just like the pic above. Had some trouble at first with a ton of dried plumbers putty in front of the packing nut which I ended up scraping out and dissolving with a little WD40. Replaced the washer and put it back in but it's still leaking. (In fact, it was leaking more with the lack of old plumbers putty but I put some new putty in as a temporary fix.) Still leaking now but not nearly as much.

Would the fact that it's still leaking suggest that there is some damage to the structure of the sillcock itself? Or would I be able to replace just the internals (packing nut, etc) and maybe fix the leak? Any guesses? Would love to avoid messing with the actual plumbing as I think the actual connection point would be very difficult to reach, and I'd rather not shell out hundreds to hire someone if possible!

Edit: Did a little more research and I realized that behind the packing nut there was virtually no packing, only a thin copper washer and the remnants of whatever decades-old plumbers putty (or something else?) between the washer and the packing nut. Another site suggested a #8 rubber o-ring for the Nibco #52 so I ordered a pack of those plus some faucet packing material (and some new washers for good measure as the one in mine looks pretty corroded. I'm guessing (hoping) that maybe the leak is just due to a poor seal between the washer and the packing nut. I'll try to install the new materials in a day or two and see what happens.

Last edited:

ZSLS

Reaction score
Thanks, that did the trick. I was just too cautious at first.

I was able to pull out the internals just like the pic above. Had some trouble at first with a ton of dried plumbers putty in front of the packing nut which I ended up scraping out and dissolving with a little WD40. Replaced the washer and put it back in but it's still leaking. (In fact, it was leaking more with the lack of old plumbers putty but I put some new putty in as a temporary fix.) Still leaking now but not nearly as much.

Would the fact that it's still leaking suggest that there is some damage to the structure of the sillcock itself? Or would I be able to replace just the internals (packing nut, etc) and maybe fix the leak? Any guesses? Would love to avoid messing with the actual plumbing as I think the actual connection point would be very difficult to reach, and I'd rather not shell out hundreds to hire someone if possible!

Edit: Did a little more research and I realized that behind the packing nut there was virtually no packing, only a thin copper washer and the remnants of whatever decades-old plumbers putty (or something else?) between the washer and the packing nut. Another site suggested a #8 rubber o-ring for the Nibco #52 so I ordered a pack of those plus some faucet packing material (and some new washers for good measure as the one in mine looks pretty corroded. I'm guessing (hoping) that maybe the leak is just due to a poor seal between the washer and the packing nut. I'll try to install the new materials in a day or two and see what happens.
OK, I think I fixed it - turns out it just needed some new packing material. Threaded some packing material between the old washer and the packing nut, put everything back together and no leaks so far after 30 minutes of watering. Fingers crossed that it holds up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks