Kitchen Sink Plumbing Config...Good, Bad, and/or Ugly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I've been studying the code that Texas follows and that's been very helpful for my understanding. Your point about the AAV having to be after the trap is what I'm honing in on, now. I have to find out if that is for an AAV. From my new understanding, I'm guessing it is because my architect did not want a vent stack penetrating the roof.
I think there must be at least one real vent. AAVs cannot release pressures.

AAVs can fail. Real vents are very unlikely to fail.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is new to me, as well! I've never seen this config, but will get answers from the plumber. The plumbing crew is licensed, been around a long time, and used by many. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they're on point with everything. I really need to hear what they have to say about this specific config. The other installations they've done are on point. Yes, all tests were done before walls were closed in. Everything good.

Now, my site manager is another story. Very nice, helpful, professional. I think he's young and inexperienced. I'm not too happy about it and that's why I'm diligent about visiting the site every day, more than once a day. I take photos and make notes. I ask my questions and then verify.

I may over react with my opinion too quick . we want it all to turn out well. Lots of visits good.

TXCajun

Reaction score
I think there must be at least one real vent. AAVs cannot release pressures.

AAVs can fail. Real vents are very unlikely to fail.

There is a vent for the kitchen sink plumbing, but the penetration is not through the roof. It's out a side wall. I'm thinking this has something to do with that one piece maybe being for an AAV, but I'm strictly guessing. It might not be for an AAV. Will get answers, tomorrow!

I think at this point, with my limited knowledge, I can't give y'all any additional information that would help make sense of what's under that sink.

Thanks ever so much for pointing me in the right direction and providing some much needed education.

Will update when I know more.

Kind Regards,

TXCajun

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not aware of a plumbing code in Texas that allows a p-trap under the floor for a kitchen sink.
In the United States, what I expect to see is a p-trap in the cabinet, vented either up through the roof, or by an AAV at least 4" above the trap arm of the p-trap.

aav-kitchen.jpg

disposer-piping-9.jpg

disposer-piping-3.jpg

TXCajun

Reaction score
I'm not aware of a plumbing code in Texas that allows a p-trap under the floor for a kitchen sink.
In the United States, what I expect to see is a p-trap in the cabinet, vented either up through the roof, or by an AAV at least 4" above the trap arm of the p-trap.

aav-kitchen.jpg

disposer-piping-9.jpg

disposer-piping-3.jpg

Oh, WOW! Thanks very much for the example photos. That is incredibly helpful for me! That is more like what I'm used to seeing. One thing about my build is that this time I'm not installing a disposal. And, yes sir, I can see that if that one pipe in mine is for an AAV, it's not tall enough.

My list of topics for the plumber...

1. p-trap
2. AAV and venting
3. air gap vs high loop air break for dishwasher
4. clean-out
5. code compliance

No doubt there is a load of technical information that could be covered, but do you think this hits the must-haves for getting answers?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That list is good. I heard that Texas was thinking of doing away with plumbing permits. Is that the case where you are?
Seems kind of Third World to me and the other plumbers though. Plumbing the correct way is why we can trust the water that comes out of our faucets and why we don't have to contend with living with sewer gases in our homes. I believe we can afford to do things right in this country.

When I have traveled to places like Central American and parts of India, I saw some pretty bad stuff plumbing wise.

india_elec_3475.jpg

Some of the wiring in India.

Reach4

Reaction score
My list of topics for the plumber...
Add vent through roof. I don't know if vent through the side of the house is sufficient or not. That is not a question for your plumber, actually, but for your local plumbing authority.

Do you see other houses with no roof penetration?

TXCajun

Reaction score
That list is good. I heard that Texas was thinking of doing away with plumbing permits. Is that the case where you are?
Seems kind of Third World to me and the other plumbers though. Plumbing the correct way is why we can trust the water that comes out of our faucets and why we don't have to contend with living with sewer gases in our homes. I believe we can afford to do things right in this country.

When I have traveled to places like Central American and parts of India, I saw some pretty bad stuff plumbing wise.

india_elec_3475.jpg

Some of the wiring in India.

I have not heard that about Texas, but if true, good grief!!!!! I can tell you that the permitting requirements aren't as strict or as universal as in some states, but we do have them. Also, to my knowledge, the licensing requirements aren't as strict as in some other states. My cabinet guy spent a lot of time in California and he told me that everybody and their dog has to be licensed. I'm not a regulate-everyone-and-everything-to-death kind of person, but lessening what is in place seems like a terrible idea.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"I'm guessing it is because my architect did not want a vent stack penetrating the roof."

For an AAV to work, there has to be at least one vent through the roof. In most places they want the area of the venting to equal the area of the drain.
A three bath home with a 3" drain would get a 3" vent through the roof, or the composite of two 2" vents and one 1.5" vent, equaling the single 3" vent.

oatey-vent-through-roof.jpg

Last edited:

TXCajun

Reaction score
Add vent through roof. I don't know if vent through the side of the house is sufficient or not. That is not a question for your plumber, actually, but for your local plumbing authority.

Do you see other houses with no roof penetration?

Yes, we see no roof penetrations with other houses. It was approved. My inspector did pass it, as well.

TXCajun

Reaction score
"I'm guessing it is because my architect did not want a vent stack penetrating the roof."

For an AAV to work, there has to be at least one vent through the roof. In most places they want the area of the venting to equal the area of the drain.
A three bath home with a 3" drain would get a 3" vent through the roof, or the composite of two 2" vents and one 1.5" vent, equaling the single 3" vent.

Interesting. I do recall lots of meetings and planning that went with venting properly. Everything was approved and passed!

TXCajun

Reaction score
Interesting, they insist on a vent through the roof here. And Oatey also says that in their FAQ sheet.

oatey-vent-through-roof.jpg
That really is very interesting! That specifically says the roofline and seems to allow no exceptions. I cannot recall the specifics of why my project's plans were approved, but they were. I do recall lots of meetings and planning, but not the specifics. My architect uses this same design in many of his projects, all approved. I know mine is vented very, very high up the wall, is under no overhang, well above trees, etc. Maybe that has something to do with it being acceptable.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My architect .............

I can't tell you how many problems we've all had with architects. They can't be bothered with getting a plumbing license, or taking a test to be a plumber, but they like to draw things. Yeah, it's really just that easy. I have saved them hundreds of thousands of dollars on projects catching their mistakes for them. Wow! Just wow is all I can say here.

Reach4

Reaction score
That really is very interesting! That specifically says the roofline and seems to allow no exceptions.
From a plumbing function point of view, a vent that opens to the side of the house would work. But then you would worry about smells hitting nearby windows.

TXCajun

Reaction score
My architect .............

I can't tell you how many problems we've all had with architects. They can't be bothered with getting a plumbing license, or taking a test to be a plumber, but they like to draw things. Yeah, it's really just that easy. I have saved them hundreds of thousands of dollars on projects catching their mistakes for them. Wow! Just wow is all I can say here.

I hear you and do understand.

To clarify...My architect did not design the plumbing system. He made the ask for no vent stacks. He has done this on many other projects and there are plenty of other homes in our region with no vent stacks, as well. I know...doesn't necessarily mean everything is good.

The plumbing company generated the design and spent lots of time working it out. Lots of planning where exactly this would work properly and meet code. Their design was approved and passed inspection.

It's always possible it's absolutely awful and unacceptable, but that's how it went. Seemed like the right processes were being followed and the rules were being adhered to. I guess I got suckered?

Reach4

Reaction score
I can't tell you how many problems we've all had with architects. They can't be bothered with getting a plumbing license, or taking a test to be a plumber,
It's not like they could just take a test and get a license AFAIK.

TXCajun

Reaction score
From a plumbing function point of view, a vent that opens to the side of the house would work. But then you would worry about smells hitting nearby windows.

Agreed and yuck. Mine is vented waaaaaaaaay up near the roofline which is just over 30' high. There is no window anywhere near this. It is higher than any grade anywhere around. There are not and will not be any trees anywhere near this. There is no roof overhang. It is not anywhere near a property line. Regardless of the plumbing company's plans, the time spent planning, the approvals/inspections met...sounds like I likely have something bad, now.

Reach4

Reaction score
Regardless of the plumbing company's plans, the time spent planning, the approvals/inspections met...sounds like I likely have something bad, now.
Your original picture was really bad.

Your high vent is not what I would consider functionally bad, but I think it would not be allowed in most of the country. That said, if other houses near you have no roof penetration, it seems likely that there is a local amendment. I am not shocked at that. I am not a plumber. Note that usually roof vents are on the non-street side of the roof to hide them a bit.

There are usually roof penetrations to vent attics too. There can be ridge vents which don't look like penetrations. They typically don't vent as well. There also is a very nice system where attics are not vented, and the insulation at the roof envelops the attic. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/f...ba_innov_unventedconditionedattics_011713.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks