Kitchen Island

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Hi guys
Roughing in kitchen plumbing (reno). Current sink is on an exterior wall, 1.5 inch abs vent coming down and feeding sink drain...from there it flows across to the center bearing wall where it joins the 4" abs pipe (about 13.5 feet across. The new island sink will replace the existing exterior wall sink. The island sink will be located between the exterior wall (current sink location) and center bearing wall (where 4" pipe is). So, how to properly vent sink...dishwasher will be in island as well.
First thought, carry existing vent in ext wall across (basement ceiling is exposed) and connect to sink drain (after trap?) with y abs fitting, continue on to 4" drain using existing pipe.
Distance from island sink to 4" pipe is around 6-7 feet or so. I've read that a 6' or less run from 4" main does not even require a vent (Canadian plumbing code) but I want to be sure of no issues and don't mind extending the existing vent line to the island as described. Let me know your thoughts and many thx in advance!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless your trap is going to be in the basement, what you are describing does not work. You are trying to use the distance from the main line to "justify" doing something, but that ALSO depends on HOW the piping is being done. It is NOT an absolute permission to do it.

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. The trap right now is in the basement ceiling for the sink. Not ideal I know. So the island being vented by the main is not applicable?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You would be better off installing an AAV to prevent the trap from siphoning.
A trap below the floor is not allowed most places. They do in Canada, :(

Steve89GTA

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! This site is really great, you helped me with a basement bathroom job 5-6 years ago which came out awesome. I have a plumber looking at it today, likely he will recommend AAV as well...alternative I guess would be the loop?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Why not install a cheater vent under the sink in the Island?

Web2-115_0.jpg

Something like this but higher up.

Works in Canada! :) But our water is finer...... lol we can use 1.5" pipes for showers because ours flows faster! ha

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks