Kitchen island sink drain into basement washing machine drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin.D

Reaction score
Hi,

First post on this forum. I am building a cottage with my dad and i have naively decided that this DIY project would include the plumbing... I am in Québec, Canada (sorry for my rusty english).

My question is... I have a kitchen island sink on my first floor and I am wondering how to drain it to my basement. This sink is on the wrong side of my beam so the 2 inch drain can't reach my waste stack (I don't want to drill a hole bigger than 2" in my beam)... However, the sink is above my washing machine basement drain, so I figured out I would try to drain the sink in this drain which connects to my main sewer line below the concrete. Can I ???

I joined pictures of what I am planning to do. I haven't seen anything like that in my research and I know it looks weird, but I haven't seen a clear rule that forbids this kind of arrangement either. My island sink will be vented with a loop vent circuit (as shown on the drawing bellow). Both the vent of the island sink and the washing machine will be 1 1-2" and will be redirected horizontally in my floor joists and pass through my beam (2 inch hole) and meet above the flood level of the island sink and through my roof. I Hope everything is clear. Am I all wrong? I believe the P-trap won't be siphoned with the vent... what about suds pressure zones?

Thanks a lot for your help. This forum has been very helpful in the past weeks.

1702426158632.png
1702426251024.png
1702426284263.png

Attachments

• 1702426607016.png
    1702426607016.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 40

Martin.D

Reaction score
So here is what I am trying to do for my kitchen island sink. As you will notice in the pictures attached, the drain and the vent are going in different directions. The "horizontal drain" is heading towards the washing machine (there is a beam there as well but it is not in the way), and the horizontal vent has to do 6 feet horizontally before hitting my main LVL beam. So... I tried to do like on the diagram in my first post, but i don't have enough space vertically, so I had to tilt the fittings in 45° angle to make it work...at least to try!

1702580377234.png
1702580800732.png
index.php

As I just mentioned, my problem is that I don't have much room under my 12" joists, as it will be a finished basement and also because I need my vent to slope upwards for 6 feet and reach the middle 3rd of my 12" beam (in other words, the hole can't be higher than 8 inches) as shown in the figure below.
1702579856037.png

So, if my hole diameter is 2 inches, the distance is 6 feet and my horizontal vent slope is minimal (1/8"/ft)... the bottom of the horizontal vent has to start at a maximum of 5-1/4 so it finishes at 6 inches once at the beam. (6x 1/8" = 3/4 ")

1702582111732.png

From what I have seen online, you have to use wye + 45 or combos make this kind of venting system. Has shown below, with those fitting, even if the are tilted at 45°, it's just too high and there is no way i can reach my beam at the right height. I also included another set up i made which is compact enough, but I really doubt it is legal.

TILTED COMBOS and WYE +45: I am at 6-3/4" (1,5 inch above the maximal height)

1702582671995.png

SAN-T + 90 spigot

1702582874349.png
1702582908657.png

At this point... any ideas how to do this thing, or should I just use an AAV? I am afraid that a AAV won't be enough to vent the 8 foot vertical drop of the sink.

Many thanks!

Martin

Attachments

• 1702582983726.png
    1702582983726.png
    486.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
following your code should be ok I never heard an AAV wont work properely in this type case But Im not into AAV either. But if you cant legaly build an island sink due to structural constraints You have little option

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks