Kitchen/Basement remodel DWV Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

andr333w

Reaction score
Hello,

I've looked through several threads on how to appropriately vent a washer stand pipe and laundry sink. This seems to be the most common used example of what to do.

home-design.jpg

Unfortunately I have not seen many examples in the case where there is a wet vent above this configuration (there is probably a good reason for this).

I am remodeling my kitchen and taking this opportunity to add a second sink, replace some of the copper drain pipes with PVC, and rearranging some of the basement drains.

Here is a picture of my current set up:
rjoSYUQ.png

Here is a picture of what I am planning:
Ps0Zssn.png

Summary of changes:
1. Adding a second sink to the kitchen with AAV
2. Replacing copper pipe to main kitchen sink, adding AAV
3. Vertical transition from copper to PVC, putting this under the counter top behind the cabinet, in case it needs to be accessed one day
4. Standpipe for washer, R.O. and softener drain (Not sure if this is allowed to all go in the same standpipe)
5. Moving utility sink over, replacing copper pipe drain
6. Drilling out/picking out lead pour on the cast iron connector and putting a donut for the 2" PVC pipe. Following the directions from this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-to-iron-elbow-in-concrete.73172/#post-539684

I am not sure if I am way out of line with my new plan, please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Every trap needs a vent, or an AAV.
The first drawing is lacking in that with the exception of the attic tub, and even that has too long of a trap arm to the vent. A 1.5" trap arm can go 42" to the vent.
A 2" trap arm can go 60" to the vent.

The second drawing shows venting for the second floor, but not for the basement floor. The washer and the laundry tray need venting before entering the stack.

andr333w

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Terry! The additional vents in the basement makes sense.

I did more thinking about it and came up with a more complex solution with trying to avoid AAV's. I don't really want 4 AAV's (that will eventually fail) for this project.

My "before" diagram was incorrect before, after cutting a hole in the kitchen ceiling I took the below picture. It looks like they have the drain go into a T about half way down the tub. Here is a picture looking under the tub
c02D9aF.jpg

rhuf67E.png

I would run a new drain for the tub, and use the existing copper for a vent for all the fixtures. The reason for the loop vents in the kitchen is that there are windows above both sinks, and I don't want to drill through every stud on that wall.

Would something like the above picture work? All the green lines would be vents. I think I am supposed to have the vent from the lower level fixtures tie in 6" above the tub overflow, but I cant get to that location since the wall on the 2nd floor is finished.

Thanks again for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks