KISS Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

johnybgood

Reaction score
K.I.S.S as in " keep it simple stupid"
I may be asking for a dinosaur that no longer exsists
However, I am looking for a 14inch rough cut it toilet
that has a Natural Height bowl, however I want a good old
gravity fed type that will take a simple fluidmaster.
Rather keep repairs simple in such a case I need to replace
the fluid assembly down the line.
I know I wont be getting the best flusher with a basic fluidmaster
Gravity fed, but I can live with the occasional double flush.

Sorry if this is a repost .

John

..... Who Say's Money never talks? All Mine ever says is "GOODBYE!"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

What you are asking for is what ALL manufacturers produce as a 14" toilet, unless you pay extra for a powerflush, and that applies to ANY measurement toilet you purchase. You are trying to make the selection process much more difficult than it is.

johnybgood

Reaction score
Great, I was a little overwhelmed last night at the "home teapot"
all the 14' rough cuts were special order and all had some sort of advanced
flushing system guts that wasn't retrofit-table to a good ol' gravity fed
fluid-master
I am still aiming for a low cost unit , around 150 in a 14' rough cut, any suggestions?

TANKS lol

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 14" rough will fit any toilet.
The tank is 2" farther out from the wall, but who cares.

If your room is small, and it does matter, then the only manufacturer that moves the bowl back is TOTO.
They do that with a Unifit adapter.
But that is over budget here, so just pick out a good 12" and you will be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Forget about Home Depot. Find a plumbing supply store that will sell to a retail customer and buy the toilet from him. These days it will be a "good flushing" 12" bowl with a 14" tank. In the good old days, 14" toilets had a special bowl and a 12" tank.

Glnow

Reaction score
Darn, I was expecting to see a new piece of KISS merchandise! ;)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's something to consider. A toilet is an appliance that will last for years. In my opinion, it is false economy to go buy a toilet that will cause problems of clogging and ineffective flushing for its lifetime. It is my sincere recommendation that you go to the "Shopping" link on the home page of this forum and examine the Toto toilets, especially those that can adapt to a 14" rough in. Yes, these will cost considerable more than home cheapo's junk, but you will have a toilet that will not only work like you would expect a good toilet to work, but will look good as well.

Reaction score
Yep, a properly designed toilet should last for many decades with only periodic replacement of internals. The porcelain isn't going anywhere.

It's sad that toilets have become throwaway items. Wish I could find a link for the SNL "Darnette Disposable Toilet" parody commercial. That was a classic!

Alan Muller

Reaction score
You keep mentioning Fluidmaster. That generally refers to the fill valve and has nothing to do with how the toilet flushes. The Fluidmaster is a good product, but so are some others. It's the flush valve (usually a flapper) that influences flushing performance. Looking for a 3" flush valve, as opposed to a two inch, isn't a bad idea.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
By "natural height" I assume you mean the ADA height. Here is the AmStd Cadet 3, a very good flusher>

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks