Kenmore UltraSoft 480 - Regenerating/Drainin non-stop - - is it worth repairing?

Users who are viewing this thread

bradrulz

Reaction score
I have a Kenmore UltraSoft 480 that is 5-years old. A week or so ago it starting regenerating and draining non-strop. I pulled the plug and engaged the bypass after about 15-hours of running (part of this time was overnight while we were sleeping).

Looking online it seems it could be the motor or wiring harness. Sears charges $70 for a service call and I would have to take a 1/2 day off of work waiting from them to show up in the 4-hour window. I am thinking of junking it and never buying another Kenmore Softener.

I have been looking at a softener with the Fleck 7000SXT valve, but am starting to read several boards/thread swearing by Clack. Problem is I can't find anywhere online that actually sells Clack softeners anymore.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be that is the only part that you will replace, then again it could be the first of many.... Sears and the others just like it under different names and jackets are made to go for about 5 years, some get more out of them with no problems... but not most of what I see here in Alaska...

How good at doing some thing like repair or putting in a system would you be?
You have the old one there, water in water out... and a drain... not much to it with the sharkbites that are out there now.. just a few fittings and some tubing and you are up and running..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks