Is this shower acceptable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ketchup

Reaction score
Hi, first time homeowners going through our first home renovation.

Seattle, WA.

We’re having our bathroom remodeled after experiencing water damage that required us to have the subfloor under our bathtub replaced, so we took the opportunity to have it converted to a walk in shower.

Unfortunately, I’ve noticed some issues during the remodel that make we wonder if the contractor’s following code.

The contractor is licensed, bonded and insured.

In particular:
- The contractor installed a 2” to 1.5” adaptor to retrofit the shower. This appears to be allowed in my city if a shower/tub combo is being replaced with a shower, but when I asked the plumber about permits, he mentioned they wouldn’t be required (no other plumbing was changed).
- The valve and shower head appear to be misaligned by about 2-3”. I have PEX tubing, and judging by the photos of the framework I can’t spot a reason for this placement.
- The width of the floor measures 26” from the wall to the curb interior, after tiling. The shower door has yet to be installed. My understandings is that it should at least be 30”.

We previously had a drop in tub that was tiled, so I’m wondering if the wood was re-used as the perimeter for the shower.

I’ve already had to point out an issue with measurements - the tile installer initially tiled too far out from the curb, preventing our new vanity from fitting. They’ve since cut the extra tile. However, the shower feels pretty claustrophobic - more so than a traditional tub.

The dimensions of my bathroom are a bit tight, but I’ve measured them and believe things should fit with proper planning and measuring.

Photos: https://m.imgur.com/a/VmSvfDc?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have a 30" wide tub there before and now it's a 30" to the outside curb again? Sounds about right.
The tub interior would have been maybe 25" or less? It is a small Seattle bathroom, where you enter starting with the toilet so you can block the door with your foot if someone enters unannounced. Then comes the lav cabinet or wall hung in many cases, and last something to wash your armpits in.
It looks like a nice tile job and nice new balanced shower valve. The PEX can go in a myriad of ways and often I see plumbers commenting on whether you should have 90's or just bend the PEX. I always thought that one benefit of PEX was fewer fittings, thus more bends is how that looks.
1/2" PEX to the shower head is fine. If there had been a tub spout, that would have been something like 1/2" copper.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The code minimum shower does feel pretty claustrophobic. I think that equates to a minimum of 900sqin, that must fit a minimum of a 24" circle. I haven't looked at those specs for awhile, so may be off a little. There's also a minimum door entry width that must be adhered to.

sarahsimp

Reaction score
can you show some of your shower renovation, i'm working on mine and need some ideas, i’m renovation my new house, when i moved the shower and bathroom was looking really old and ancient, the siding is made of wood and it is really rusty and broken, i also did some repairing inside like panting, flooring, etc. changing the old doors was also in my plan, actually my friend gave me a nice idea for the shower, it’s about installing steam shower generator and i like it but i’m wondering if it needs a special equipment.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks