Is my well going dry?? Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Brittmoney91

Reaction score
Ok so my husband and I were attempting to fill a pool (about 6000 gallons) we have been filling it slowly on and off over the last week and are at about 5000 gallons in. Yesterday we changed the whole house filter because the water pressure in the house was slowing down. Then started filling the pool back up and after a little bit the water started to turn brown, but we still have great pressure (better than ever actually) and when we checked the hose again this morning it was even more brown. (But the inside water is still pretty clear) I'm wondering if our well is getting low, or maybe turning the well pump on and off had something to do with just stirring dirt and things up.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is it brown from silt or brown from rusty water? Where is the hose spigot connected to? Before or after the pressure tank, before or after the whole house filters?

Brittmoney91

Reaction score
Not sure what its brown from. Hose is connected to the house from the pressure tank. And it started after turning the tank off to change the filter.

I also just noticed, it looks like its only coming from the cold water

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It might be sediment in the pressure tank bladder that has settled in over the years but it will eventually show up in the home.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok so my husband and I were attempting to fill a pool (about 6000 gallons) we have been filling it slowly on and off over the last week and are at about 5000 gallons in. Yesterday we changed the whole house filter because the water pressure in the house was slowing down. Then started filling the pool back up and after a little bit the water started to turn brown, but we still have great pressure (better than ever actually) and when we checked the hose again this morning it was even more brown. (But the inside water is still pretty clear) I'm wondering if our well is getting low, or maybe turning the well pump on and off had something to do with just stirring dirt and things up.

ONE GOOD RAIN will dump over 6,000 gallon from your roof. get some 4" corrugated pipe and divert rainwater to your pool. Your pool has filtration and chlorination. it'll sanitize the water for you. I think your poor little well is having a hard time keeping up. use rainwater to fill the pool. Much cheaper. easier on your well. And if you're on city water, rain water is free. city water aint. Quit putting that much demand on your pump and your well. REPLACING PUMPS is expensive.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Replacing pumps is expensive! Most likely the pump cycling on and off repeatedly is stirring up the well. The biggest problem is the cycling on and off will destroy the pump. You are probably going to need to pump the well clean at high flow. Then adding a Cycle Stop Valve maybe all you need to be able to slowly fill the pool without cycling the pump and stirring up the well.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking thru 48 inches of water in a pool will show more color more than looking through 3 inches through the side of a glass.

So it may be that the tint is visible more as the pool gets deeper. It may be that the color did not develop until the water sat for a while.

Hose is connected to the house from the pressure tank. And it started after turning the tank off to change the filter.
I did not understand that. What color does the filter element get with time?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks