Is it possible for an amateur to rewire a whole house?

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
Hello - as my family continues to live in a crumbling relic of a house, I find that the electrical system is going to need some help, probably sooner than later. Our house is a one-story, on a concrete slab, built in 1960. Since then, one of the owners has converted the garage to living space, and added to/modified the electrical system, and this guy was not the best, let's say. Some of the problems we've come across are the use of mobile home grade parts, like ductwork in the attic that collapses if you try to use it. Some of our outlets are already not working and I think it's because they shorted out. And once when we had people working in our attic, the electricity kept going on and off depending on where they were stepping.

If I were going to attempt a rewire, my plan would be to buy a new heavier duty breaker box and rewire with exposed conduits on the walls (we're too poor to worry about cosmetics!), using all 3 prong outlets. Does this sound doable? I'm a pretty good mechanic, and fairly handy around the house, but the most complicated things I've done in the house are replace our 40 gallon gas water heater with a 50 gallon model, and replace the cable wiring for TV and internet. I'm pretty hesitant to start working on home electrical systems without lots of research beforehand, but I don't even want to go there if this is a stupid idea. thanks in advance for any input!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would avoid the exposed conduit for your wiring. With the right tools, it's not all that terrible to run it in the walls if you have access from the attic. Now, being Texas and in the summer, that should likely wait until winter!

There are lots of rules about what rooms need certain things, and you may need to consider AFCI and GFCI protected circuits. While you're at it, hardwiring in smoke and CO detectors to meet current codes should be considered. LIttle rules like box fill, maximum spacing for receptacles (varies depending on the room and application), and the fact that you now are required to have neutral at switches where you used to be able to just have a switch leg mean to get it right will require some research to avoid issues with both safety and code compliance. But, a good mechanic should be able to run the wires to make a safe and compliant system.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You'll not be able to change out the main breaker panel to larger or newer one without an electrical inspection. The meter would have to be removed to power is off to the old panel. If just crawling or walking in the attic space and lights or going out, that means loose connections and probably hidden junction boxes as well. When outlets go bad it's not because of short but loose, corroded or burned connections that opened. It is also a fire hazard to leave it that way. The newest code of 2014 has a lot of changes for residences such as expensive AFCI. As jadnashua mentions there are a many rules, even with conduit. To do a fair amount of wiring will cost hundreds of dollars plus the cost for an electrician. Your first trip out of Home Depot will leave you quite shocked.

I would recommend to find an electrician and have him scope out the work and parts needed. Make an agreement, if you can, that you'll do most of the leg work by running new wires or conduit and adding or replacing boxes. You may need to cut a lot of holes. Then pay the electrician do all the connections and permitting if needed. You more or less become his laborer or apprentice. Sounds like you can do the work but there are hundred of little things that you need to know. When plumbing is not done correctly you'll have a drain that doesn't drain or flood in the house, but when electrical work is not done right, someone can be shocked, burned, killed from a shock or from a fire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks