indoor jetted tub has brown floaters in it..Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kbrady15

Reaction score
I haven't been using the jets of this tub for a long while. But lately when I take a bath (daily) there are brown slimy scale/leafy looking items floating in the tub. This is the only tub that has water like this and it is pretty gross. I have tried many variations of searching and haven't been able to find anything similar. It is not hard water scales that are built up on the inside of the tub, the water is clear except for these floaters. I need to understand what these are coming from and how to get rid of them.

thank you in advance for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jetted tubs that were built in the 80's had re circulation pipe with dips in them that held water that then turned funky. Later models were build with sloped pipe so that they self drained when the tub was emptied. It sounds like you have one of the earlier models. This is what we did to clean things up, Fill the tub with all hot water until full, the add a gallon or two of bleach. The turn on the pump and run for an hour or two. This should fix it for a while. you will have to do the bleach trick from time to time. if you do not use the pump run it from time to time to flush out stagnate water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the jetted tub manufacturers have some very specific cleaning procedures that often must be done on a monthly basis or you'll have issues like this. OFten, the chemicals are pretty nasty. One reason I bought an air tub...it blow dries itself by itself. I still need to do a clean on it, and use some bleach and dishwasher solution. I don't get nasties floating around though, but you can smell a little mildew if you don't do it often enough when the air pump runs during the drying cycle.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Good thing you did not find any Brown Sinkers at the bottom!

turd+in+pool.png

That looks almost eatable! Maybe an O'Henry.

I think we used a special cleaner used for hot tubs a long while back.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks