Remove and replace river rock tile in shower/ Waterproofing help

Users who are viewing this thread

nose1182

Reaction score
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies if this is a repeat!

My upstairs bathroom has a walk-in shower with marble wall tile and river stone floor. The river stone flooring is getting messed up. The grout is cracking and coming loose, and a few single stones have popped out on their own. I would love to remove this tile and replace with something that is easier to maintain with less grout to clean.
Can I just take a hammer drill and drill it out? Chisel it out? Then lay new tile?
I know that river rock tile has been an issue for many folks, so I hope someone else can share their experiences to help.
IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2372.jpg
IMG_2375.jpg

Another issue is the marble wall tile is "taking on" some water on the row touching the floor. There is a water line on some. I can stand directly under part of the shower and there is drywall without any signs of water damage. Just on the other side of part of the shower is my closet. I removed a small piece of drywall to get a peek. There is a gray rubbery membrane that goes up about 12" from the floor, and the back of some type of material. No mold from what I can tell .. Does it look like it was waterproofed done correctly? Is it ok for the tile to be soaking up that much water? (The shower has not been used in 2 months). I'm nervous about a water leak and any potential of mold/water damage to my home.
IMG_2367.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks