Ideal Toilet Flange Height

Users who are viewing this thread

Rwbil

Reaction score
Not sure the best option for Toilet Flange Height. Remodeling Bathroom. Had to self-Level, so either I put the toilet Flange on top of the new self-leveled concrete slab or on top of the ceramic tile (finished floor).

The problem is the flange is 1/2" thick and that is the same height from the toilet bottom. Maybe three is an extra 1/16" or so. I hope I am clear here. I am talking about the space from where the toilet would sit on the tile to the toilet's 2nd or other bottom inside the toilet's outer flange part.

So if I put the flange on top of the ceramic tile there is no room for the wax to squeeze out to. Is the toilet flange top supposed to fit right against the toilet bottom?

If I put the flange on top of the slab it will be about the same height as the ceramic floor.

Some people say the toilet flange should be 1/4" about the finished floor, but the only way I can do that is install it on the slab and then add an extension.

Which option is proper.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would place it on slab, and if needed use a deep wax. You don't want the bowl sitting on the flange.

Or..........get a different closet flange. Is the one you have really 1/2" high?

new-closet-flange-terrylove-04.jpg

flange_01.jpg

The one below was kind of high, but fit under the toilet bowl just fine.

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Which option is proper.
What closet flange do you have that has a 1/2 inch thick ring?

Describe what you are planning to connect to, we might suggest an alternative. I infer you have not glued a closet flange into place yet. Some glue in, and others use a different method.

Nebojsa

Reaction score
The toilet flange needs to be on top of the finished floor. It always worked for me.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Highly recommended you use a flange with a stainless steel ring instead of the one linked; the PVC ring is prone to breakage and, as you've seen, is overly thick for some toilets. You should be able to buy an Oatey flange with the stainless ring at the "blue" box store (or the "orange" box store).

Reach4

Reaction score
1. 3/8 below the top of the tile is not ideal, but it is not really bad.
2. I would consider a compression cast iron flange if the circumstances are right. With glue you need to get things right the first time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks