How to tie in old clay drain pipe into new sump pit

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Replacing small old clay sump pit with a new, larger one. Perimeter drain channels connect to existing pit via clay pipe under the slab. Once I break up the old pit to enlarge the hole, how do I tie in the existing clay pipe to the new pit?

I also worry that, when breaking things up, I may not be able to very cleanly sever the old clay pipe and end up with a jagged mess for the end of those drain pipes. Is there some sort of a longer-ish rubber insert type of a connection that would insert into the clay and expand or is a large fernco on the outside of the clay my only option?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fernco is your only option underground. There are some expensive underground no hub bands but why?

You need an angle grinder and a thin masonry wheel to get a clean cut. You could adapt to PVC if you end up breaking some clay.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Diablo makes some nice sawzall blades that cut clay lines cleanly and easily.
For clay lines that I've coupled to, I went to an outfit that supplies underground utilities. That had the perfect match on hand. The couplings fit perfectly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks