How to remove compression fitting/nut?

Users who are viewing this thread

cdog

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the valve assembly for my toilet supply valve. The valve is connected to 1/2' copper pipe with a compression fitting. I want to remove the valve, and the compression fitting, and the flange at the base of the wall to replace everything.

I've had problems replacing compression fittings in the past, and I'm afraid to remove the valve to find that I can't remove the fitting - then not be able to get the valve to seal again!

How do I get a used compression fitting off a copper pipe?

Thanks,

Cdog

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The easiest way is if the pipe is long enough to just cut it behind the ring.

There is a ferrule puller tool which easily pulls off the ring.

If you are careful, you can slice the ring diagonally, using a hacksaw blade wrapped in duct tape and held in your hand. Orient the blade to cut on the pull stroke.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Or, just leave the compression ring on, and reuse the nut...my unprofessional opinion.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any hardware store will carry a sleeve puller.

sleeve_puller_1.jpg

sleeve_puller_3.jpg

ferrule-blaster-1.jpg

My favorite, though if the nut and sleeve are on super tight, it won't take them off. Then I pull out the Pasco puller.

index.php

Here a handyman had left the back nut and sleeve on. For sealing he tried tape, but then he wound up breaking the back of the stop off.

index.php

They are lucky it was only a drip and not catastrophic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks