How to reattach and tighten these two fittings? -SOLVED

Users who are viewing this thread

gadgetnut

Reaction score
Hello, all. I have an Ove Decors Athena freestanding tub faucet with diverter controlled hand spray shower. I detached the hand shower from the faucet body for maintenance. When I went to reattach the hand shower the fitting the spray hose attaches to separated from the faucet body (see attachments.) I don't see any threads or pins to secure the reattachment of the this fitting to the faucet body. There are a couple "O" rings but it almost looks like a friction fit. The manufacturer is suggesting I purchase an entire new faucet in order to reattach the hand spray which is prohibitively expensive and seems unnecessary.

The hand spray does not shut off at the end of the hose, so this fitting doesn't need to hold back full water pressure in the hose- it just needs to not leak when water is briefly diverted through the handheld hose and out the sprayer. Could I somehow glue or epoxy the fitting back on? Thank you very much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3816.jpeg
    IMG_3816.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 81

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
reverse order however you detached it reatach it now. of cource if manufacture says its broken it might be time for new

gadgetnut

Reaction score
Thank you, Jeff. Yes, in reverse order the loose piece absolutely does fit over the male nib. If you hold the fitting in place you can turn the diverter to run water through the hand spray, no leaks. Yet, with no apparent way to tighten the fitting, when you let go it swivels and easily falls off. I'm trying to determine if this unusual connection has any way of tightening. I thought about striking it lightly with a rubber mallet to see if it's supposed to slip over and seat. Was hoping someone might recognize this type of connection and give me a yay or nay. Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it does not have a set screw, I would consider drilling and tapping for a set screw.

Your brand only has a 1 year warranty. Lifetime of the original owner is typical for well-respected brands.

To take a shower while you are deciding on a longer term fix, I would consider using a tie-wrap to hold that together.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
maybe thats the defect it wasent drilled and tapped all was good till you started messing with it?

gadgetnut

Reaction score
Hi, again. Thanks for your help! Take a look, on closer inspection I believe I see a set screw inside the fitting in question. It appears to be a small, protruding screw with an Allen head. I can only see the "business end" of this set screw. The other end of this screw, where you would tighten, might be behind a white and orange flow restrictor in the photo. Using an explorer, I tried to pull the orange and white restrictor out but doesn't want to pop out. Do you think it's worth removing (and possibly breaking) this restrictor to see if a set screw can be accessed?

The manufacturer got back to me, they don't offer replacement parts for my faucet any longer. They offer to sell me a new faucet for about $460. I don't deny that I've gotten great value over the last ten years from a faucet, but I hesitate to spend that much to resolve a practically trivial attachment.

This connection doesn't need to hold back everyday water pressure. This fitting absolutely does not need to swivel. The attached 60 inch long flexible hose and hand shower is used periodically for tens of seconds to rinse out the bathtub, nothing more.The tub spout and mixing valve do the everyday prolonged heavy work under full pressure and all that is working perfectly.

Other than an unsightly appearance, one zip tie would unquestionably hold this connection and restore normal operation. If I can't access the set screw (see above), can I use epoxy and/or silicone caulk and where in this junction would you apply the adhesive?

Really appreciate your help, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3849.jpeg
    IMG_3849.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 64

Fitter30

Reaction score
If there's nothing on the outside of the fitting bet its spring loaded. Spray wd40 or something like it push on it with your finger has to fit in the groove first pic the o rings seal the water. Talk to customer service.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi, again. Thanks for your help! Take a look, on closer inspection I believe I see a set screw inside the fitting in question. It appears to be a small, protruding screw with an Allen head. I can only see the "business end" of this set screw. The other end of this screw, where you would tighten, might be behind a white and orange flow restrictor in the photo. Using an explorer, I tried to pull the orange and white restrictor out but doesn't want to pop out. Do you think it's worth removing (and possibly breaking) this restrictor to see if a set screw can be accessed?
What is on the outside of where I am pointing with the light green arrow?

Attachments

• img_4.jpg
    img_4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 63

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
gotta be a way to attach it I thought set screw but maybe not . I guess you might be able to glue it up epoxy whatever . I wouldnt

gadgetnut

Reaction score
Eureka! Perfect repair completed with your help. Using lots of light and a magnifying glass I confirmed we do see a set screw with an Allen head on the inside of the first photo. The other end of the set screw was behind the flow restrictor/ backflow preventer assembly. I pulled all the white and orange parts out carefully. I soaked both sides with WD-40 then inserted a tiny Allen wrench and bingo, the set screw turned. I simply set the fitting back on the spout, snugged up the set screw, carefully reinserted the flow restrictor parts, and reattached the hand shower hose.

Flawless repair. I hadn't run into an assembly quite like this before. With your help, this is resolved... sensibly. Thanks everyone!

Best from Gadgetnut

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpeg
    IMG_3861.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3857.jpeg
    IMG_3857.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 67
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks