Bad pressure/flow on 1 hose bib.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
I did check the existing threads, and I'm pretty sure mine is different. I'm actually just looking for some confirmation to my conclusions, but I'm also here to be learned:)

In our home 2 of the existing hose bibs are both plumbed 1/2" PEX. They come off the 3/4" PEX at varying distances, but are within several feet. 1 has a no-frost and the other does not. They both scream water. I filled a 5 gallon bucket from the normal bib in less than 30 seconds. I haven't tried the other one, but last year it worked the sprinklers, hand sprayer, etc just fine.

The 3rd one is part of the apartment that flooded from a pin hole leak, so I replumbed it in 1/2" PEX.

This morning, using the same 10' hose section, it took 1 & 1/2 minutes to fill a 5 gallon pail. It has a 1/2" 1/4 turn shut off before it goes into a frost-free bib. Leading up to its exiting the house there are 9 PEX plastic connector elbows, etc including 1 Sharkbite push fitting going to the frost free. Lots of friction, eh?

I even attached a flex hose to the water from the kitchen faucet valve which is the typical 1/4 turn 3/8" compression. It filled the 5 gallons in less than a minute & a half. The problem hose bib Tees off of that pipe.

My plan is to go downstairs to the 3/4" supply where it's closest, (about 20-25 feet total) Tee off of it with 3/4" PEX pipe & brass PEX barbed fittings so I can Pinch clamp them with my Ryobi machine. I'll do bends where/if possible, and just before the foundation exit I'll install a 1/4 turn 3/4" PEX shutoff, with easy access for winter closings. I'll do a simple 3/4" sillcock with no frost free.

Am I on the right track? Before the leak there was never a problem with the 1/2" copper pipe & sillcock.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom & experience!

Best,
Howard Emerson

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
What type of pex?
I'm using B. That's what my plumber redid the majority of the house with. He left me enough blue and red to do my master bathroom renovation (I did that with Shark Bite press fits) and it's what I've redone the apartment area with (using cinch clamps and a Ryobi Cinch Clamp tool) since gutting it after the flood.

HE

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
The one push fit sharkbite fitting. Is that pex on both sides?
No, its an elbow.
The one push fit sharkbite fitting. Is that pex on both sides?
Here's the frost free I bought. It's a 3/4 x 1/2" pex.
VtQpbZS.jpg

Here's the elbow I replaced the straight connector with:
QMrhvb2.jpg

I did make a point of popping the pex out of it, and filling the 5 gallon pail. It was faster than it was going through the frost free, but not nearly as fast as the 3/8" flex hose at the kitchen supplies, which was not as fast as the outside hose bib that is a normal valve.

I don't mind doing a separate 3/4" line, and I won't close the walls until I'm satisfied with the flow situation.

HE

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well it does sound like the combination of using b pex with a large amount of associated tiny fittings has restricted the flow there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks