Moen 7310 valve body side spray brass plug needed. How to find?

Users who are viewing this thread

wallhanger

Reaction score
Two pictures added in post 6.
The sink bottom and the sprayer hose fitting I would like to replace with a plug.

Problem, explanation

I have had a Moen Legend 7300 series (no sprayer) faucet in my home for many years. (It is a metal sink with fairly deep basins and three holes that would have been common for builders to use in the mid 90's. It has no sprayer hole.)

2-3 years ago I purchased a new Moen Legend 7310 (side sprayer) faucet on eBay. At the time, I wanted it for spare parts, primarily a new spout. This year I needed it for that as the old spout developed pinholes.

However, this week, the cartridge started sticking and broke off in the faucet when I tried to remove it. I may have ruined the old faucet body-that is another thread's question when I have a chance to study on it some more.

This new 7310 faucet was going to be my easier fix. After lots of fumbling on my part and some overnight Kroil soaking of one of the retaining nuts, I finally got the old faucet off, everything cleaned up and the new faucet installed. The problem is that there is a threaded hole in the bottom of the faucet body for the sprayer hose to attach into. I made around four trips to Home Depot and Ace Hardware trying to get a plug. There is no such thing commonly available. The only things were brass plugs with something called pipe threads, which did not fit.

The Ace Hardware plumbing associate sold me a 3/8 fine thread stainless steel bolt and told me to wrap it in teflon tape. That leaked. It seemed like the brass hole in the faucet had a taper to it and I was afraid I would damage the faucet body if I tried to really force the bolt in. Instead I did the following temporary solution.

Temporary solution

I cut the sprayer spray hose in half. It has a 1/4 inch ID. I went back to Home Depot. I bought a brass hose barb that would take a 1/4 inch brass pipe plug and bought the plug too. I wrapped the threaded end of the sprayer hose in teflon tape and put it in its hole in the bottom of the faucet body. I put the hose barb in the cut end of the hose, secured it with two small hose clamps, and put the teflon tape wrapped plug into it.

Permanent solution I would like to have

I would like to have a plug to screw directly into the hole.

The array of small brass plumbing fittings, different threads, and the proper vocabulary to describe them is beyond my knowledge.

I figure that there must be a plug available to fit that type of hole but I have no idea how to describe it, search for it, or find it.

Can someone either help me find the relevant Moen part or help with appropriate vocabulary search terms to try to find the plug?

(I did not take a picture of the faucet before installation, but I do have a picture of the bottom side of the faucet after installation. I can figure out how to post that here if that will help someone to see what I am talking about.)

Thank you for reading and any suggestions you can offer.

Last edited:

wallhanger

Reaction score
It has been a while, but I think the old Moen 7310 would use a 1/8" brass pipe plug to plug the spray outlet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-MIP-Brass-Plug-Fitting-802299/207176244

If you could post a picture of what you have that might jog my memory.

The hardware store guy did try an 1/8" brass pipe plug. It went in a little ways and then stopped. The pipe plug has a very coarse thread that does not match with the threading in the faucet body or the fitting on the end of the sprayer hose.

I'll work on the pictures for you. I have two on my phone that are what you want to see. I just have to figure out how to get them off the phone and posted here.

Curly

Reaction score
Found Moen 168666 adapter kit to convert older style Moen 7310 side sprayer to not as old Moen 7310 side sprayer.

Could use this adapter and put Moen plug 143530 into adapter ?

Might contact Moen and see it they can tell you the thread and or maybe they sell a plug for it.

wallhanger

Reaction score
Would like a plug with proper threads to replace the sprayer hose end.

(I have created a temporary workaround so I can use the faucet (without a sprayer).)

Attachments

• Sink Sprayer Outlet.jpg
    Sink Sprayer Outlet.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 225
  • sink Sprayer Hose End.jpg
    sink Sprayer Hose End.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 234
  • sink workaround.jpg
    sink workaround.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

wallhanger

Reaction score
Found Moen 168666 adapter kit to convert older style Moen 7310 side sprayer to not as old Moen 7310 side sprayer.

Could use this adapter and put Moen plug 143530 into adapter ?

Might contact Moen and see it they can tell you the thread and or maybe they sell a plug for it.

Thank you for the searching on my behalf.

Before I try something like that, I would still like to try to find a plug. I'd hoped, in posting here, that I could get a long time plumber that could say:

"The fitting on the end of the hose is an --xx-- fitting with a --zz-- thread and you can replace it with a --yy-- brass plug. (Or "that was a special Moen plug, I might have one lying around, PM me if you want me to look.)

The sprayer hose connector and the duralock adaptor make two male fittings with whatever the Moen thread is, but Moen does not show any plugs in the Moen 7300 series parts lists I can find online. I suspect their position was probably "buy the 7300 faucet if you don't want the sprayer", so I was hoping I could find a plug in the marketplace if I knew the right terms for the thread and the part it was replacing.

wallhanger

Reaction score
Could the fitting type shown in my post 6 above be something called NPTF ?

And from there, since a 3/8" bolt fit loosely at the opening of the faucet outlet, and then bound up after a few turns,

I would be looking for a 3/8" brass NPTF plug?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks