How do I hook up sink to offset drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Quarter Slope

Reaction score
I have an IKEA cabinet that is going to have a sink in it. On the bottom, there is a drawer, for pulling out the garbage can, etc. As you can see from:

the drain line doesn't line up with the centerline of the sink. From this second photo:

You can see that the drawer is at the same height as the drain. This prevents simply putting the P-trap at the same height as the drain and using a 45 on the drain to get over to the P-trap.

My question is, how do connect from the drain to the sink, given that the drain does not line up directly and the moving shelf would be in the way.

Also, it would be nice to have some sort of cleanout (maybe with a wye??) where the drain comes out of the wall so that I can clean out the pipes with minimal amount of turns.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ikea_lav_6.jpg

I put a 90 outside the wall and point over to the drain on the Ikea with the drawer.

ikea-rinnen-side.jpg

Quarter Slope

Reaction score
That's a perfect visual! Is there a way to add a cleanout where that 90 is? I'm already have a 90 behind that wall, so I really would like to minimize the number of turns for cleaning out the pipes.

Also, are unions on the p-trap ok? I originally was thinking of using that, but then I ran across a bunch of posts where people say that the unions tend to leak.

Is there any difference in using the thin plastic drain pipes like in the picture vs using Sch 40 PVC? The plastic seems so thin and flimsy to me.

I'm a total plumbing newbie. Any chance you could label what each of the components are of that setup?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks