Help please vent issue causing sink and toilet smell

Users who are viewing this thread

ndboston

Reaction score
We have two bathrooms that are back to back. The master bath and guest bath upstairs. We recently moved in and noticed smell coming from the sinks and toilet in the master bath, but there is no smell coming from the guest bath sink, toilet or drain on the other side of the wall. The shower runs down a different drain line. I believe it is an air flow problem causing sewer gas to come though because we have already treated with BS and vinegar numerous times. In addition, the toilet when idle forms little tiny air bubbles in the water and the toilet water has the same stink.

I'm not sure how if it's a vent problem only one of the bathrooms has this smell. Is it possible for a clogged vent to only make one of our bathrooms smell and not the other which is right on the other side of the wall sharing the same drainage pipes? I know they share the same drainage pipes because we recently redid the drywall below the bathrooms after a leaky toilet ring discovery. We had the area treated for mold and replaced all the bad plywood before closing it up so I don't believe this is the problem.

The weather has finally got nice enough to go on the roof this weekend and run a hose down the vent pipe so hopefully that helps. I also plan to take apart the p trap and clean it, but if its also coming from the toilet I'm not sure this will work.

One thing I'm wondering is if they failed to even hook up these fixture in the master bath to the vent pipe at all. Is there a way to tell if it's connected to the vent pipe without tearing things apart?

Any help or tips on what would do would be appreciated. I want to try things myself before conceding to professional help.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It could be a case of the ceiling fan exhaust pipe being too close to the toilet vent pipe and the odors are being "sucked" into the room. If the toilet and sink have water in their traps, it is NOT a vent issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks