Help Needed With Cadet 3 Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

can74

Reaction score
Hi All, About a year ago I renovated my main floor washroom. Installed new American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. Over the last year I've had to auger out my main sewer line 3 times because toilet is not moving waste with enough water. I did have the line scoped with a camera just to make sure it wasn't a piping issue. Just seems like 4.8 liters is just not enough water each flush to keep things moving. Tank level is maxed out. Flapper has 3 settings but don't quite understand what each one does when moving chain? Will moving to a 6 liter make that much difference? Does anyone have any suggestions before I rip this out and buy a different toilet? Thanks for your help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make several replacement flappers that will adjust to allow more flotation and more water released.
You can also hold the handle down to drain more of the tank when flushing. I hope there were no baby wipes in the line. Those should never be flushed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How old are your lines, and what are they made of? Old CI can sometimes get rough with deposits.

A more common reason for this type of problem is incorrect slope all along the line (such as a flat spot, belly, or reverse slope). FWIW, on a single flush and a long drain line, it's not uncommon for waste (solids) to move in stages as more water is used such as when taking a shower, doing laundry, or subsequent flushes. While the liquids should empty, it may not carry all of the solids, so they just move a bit more with the next waste water that comes through.

can74

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Could you recommend a replacement flapper? No baby wipes... Just a case of not enough water, this I observed while watching water flow through the clean out opening after flushing toilet upstairs. For the time being I've been double flushing and filling the tub once a week to keep waste moving. Never had any problems prior to the new install? Will the new flapper be just as effective as if I were to install a 6 liter? That in my opinion just doesn't seem like it would make a difference by adding an additional liter?

can74

Reaction score
Most of the line is original to the house built in the 50s. They did add a basement washroom some years prior to me buying but I can't confirm the slope.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
ON almost all modern toilets, the tank holds more water than the specified flush volume. SO, as Terry mentioned, if you hold the handle down, you can empty the tank, and use (sometimes considerably) more water per flush. There are some adjustable flappers out there, and I don't know the range, but you could try one and crank it up from recommendation (which should be the same as factory).

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I don't know what your maximums are in Canada these days, but if you're at 4.5 and you ask if cranking it to 6 will make a difference, the answer is "of course". Enough of a difference? I don't know. Why not try it? Flapper is much cheaper than new toilet. If the issue is the water volume, then more water will likely do more. If 6L is the max a toilet can be sold for in Canada now, then, obviously, buying a different toilet isn't likely to make any difference.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A pressure assisted toilet gets things a bit further, but really, if it's a long horizontal way, it still won't likely get to the end on the first flush. Personally, I avoid them. Some love them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks