Garbage Disposer overflows into 2nd sink

Users who are viewing this thread

NotthatCraig

Reaction score
Ever since we had granite installed with a new double sink, there have been frequent explosive overflows from the garbage disposer, into the other sink. I recently replaced the old garbage disposer as it was leaking and the new one behaves the same way. I had snaked the drain and run a couple of gallons of Main Line cleaner down the pipes, but nothing has changed. I suspect the plumbing arrangement under the sink is the problem and seek further advice. A photo is attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• undersink.jpg
    undersink.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 277

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would suggest cutting that all out and starting over.
There may be a clog where the disposer drops into the santee on it's back.

disposer-piping-2.jpg

This is installed with a diposer kit that includes a baffle tee to divert water downward.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
On a slab, or over a basement, or what?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can access below the floor under the drain, you could maybe add a cleanout. Clogs are common under kitchens when the drain pipe turns from vertical to horizontal.

I had good luck with a RIDGID PowerSpin Plus.
ridgid-snake-145.jpg

I powered it with a drill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would replumb it . usually I put the 90 on the disposal with continuous 2 part waste . but whatever works and what you have doesn't and is illegal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks