Double sink, disposal, dishwasher, 70s house - was this done correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

pkirkovsky

Reaction score
Hello!

Our kitchen sink recently developed a small drain leak due to old & cracking fittings, and I'd like to do an overhaul.

After looking at some posts about this setup, I am starting to wonder whether the plumbing was done correctly when the house was built. Based on other posts it seems that the drain setup we currently have may be needlessly complex.
Is this the case? If so, what's the best way to remedy it?

Thank you!

(disposal is a Kenmore 60581, if that's important)

Attachments

• img_1231.jpg
    img_1231.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 124
  • img_1232.jpg
    img_1232.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 127
  • img_1233.jpg
    img_1233.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 125

Kowalsky

Reaction score
In my opinion and knowledge thare shoul be separate trap for that disposal because now it is shared with right side of the sink. When you turn the disposal on the majority of the discharge can run accros that T and up to the bowl. Plus separate P traps are by the code. Also I would disconnect that dishwasher from the disposal and connect it to branched taipiece installed under the right side of the sink. Many states prohibit DW draining directly to disposal. So ..... left side from the sink: disposal, trap. right side of the sink: tailpiece with barbed DW branch (7/8 or 5/8), trap. Both traps should meet at the same level and join at the T or perhaps Y and that T or Y should enter the wall drain. Use extensions when posible and needed, and dont forget to cap the disposal DW inlet hole. Connect DW drain hose to that tailpiece and clamp it. Some states may require air gap device for proper DW drain connection. Good luck. I just realized that your post is from over a month ago:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks