What should I use?

• No-hub over female galvanized fitting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PVC male threaded adapter (please suggest a product)

• No-hub adapter on "regular" stub under floor (would need to remove floor)

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Primemover

Reaction score
In my situation there is not enough room between the galvanized fittings to cut and have a stub big enough to use a no-hub adapter. I am working with a 1-1/2" waste line. I am wondering if I can connect one side of a No-hub adapter over the female portion of a galvanized fittings (maybe use a 2" to 1-1/2" no hub?) And the other to the PVC? Or am I not allow to put it of a fitting and it NEEDS to be on a "regular" section of pipe? (the "regular" section is under the floor on the second story and I don't want to pull the floor up).

Or should I try using a PVC 1-1/2" male threaded adapter to connect the PVC to the female end of the galvanized fittings (could someone recommend the correct adapter?)

Thank you for your help in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Instead of "no-hub" I suggest you use the term shielded coupling. The term no-hub is usually used for some cheaper connectors for cast iron. Maybe those can be used for regular drain stuff. I don't know. I am not a plumber.

If the threads are good enough consider http://www.proflo.com/product/proflo-PF2020-n-a-1191103 You can mix metal and plastic. There are other brands and finishes.
PF2000.jpg

Consider cleaning the thread with a brass brush. Use PTFE tape and pipe dope both.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When dealing with a plumbing supply and you use the term NO HUB coupling the majority will automatically use the shielded coupling

Big box stores and the unknowing may sell a Fernco coupling which is not even to be considered IMHO

The problem using this connection to a galvanized nipple is it will cause galvanic corrosion (electrolytic action) Not a great idea to mix dissimilar metals such as ferrous sand non ferrous metals
PF2000.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You could cement a 1-1/2 in. PVC Sch. 40 MPT x S Male Adapter into a 1-1/2 in. PVC DWV Hub x SJ Trap Adapter, and have an all-PVC solution. Use PTFE tape and plastic-safe pipe dope (both) on the threads in that case.
white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc021091400hd-64_145.jpg
white-pvc-nibco-pvc-fittings-c48017hd112-64_145.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By far your better path would be to trash all of the galvanized piping. Especially on hot lines, it rusts from the inside out. The threaded ends cut through the galvanized coating and provide a ready point for rust to occur. Heat tends to make it happen faster.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks