Framing under new toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

snuggles

Reaction score
Hello, I poked around through the archives, but was unable to locate an answer to my question, but sorry if this has already been asked and answered a million times...

I've gutted an old bathroom and reframed to make it level, square and plumb by sistering 2x8s to the existing joists, building new walls, etc etc. I've got two layers of advantech 3/4 plywood all cut and ready to lay down, but before I do that I'm getting as much of the plumbing rough out of the way as I can.

One thing I think I've seen done is putting blocking under the toilet area (to really stiffen it and prevent rocking, I'm assuming). I was planning on just cutting some extra 2x8s and blocking around the toilet bend "riser" (what I call the 4" pipe that sticks straight up from the closet bend, and that the flange is attached to) such that the wood hugs it fairly close, and part of two sides of the flange itself will rest directly above the blocking once it's installed.

It's just not clear to me that:

1. I need the blocking. I'll have 1.5" of advantech glued and screwed spanning ~19" (old house framing). With that amount of subfloor, is there really any significant advantage to more blocking? It's easy to do now, so I will tend to do it unless...

2. Is there a *dis*advantage to adding this blocking? I can't think of any, barring the time and materials. But is there some reason to not have the blocking at all?

3. Is the placement the best? I'm not sure having it directly under the flange is the best, I'm just assuming. But assuming in this kind of stuff can lead you down some bad paths... Should I block all four sides? (span the joists, then span that blocking to make a little "box" around the pipe). I mean, there is a point at which you are just overbuilding, but I'm not clear on what that point is.

Thanks very much, this site has been just an incredible resource for me over the years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks