3 inch flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Smithjoey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a question that I’ve been researching a ton and can’t seem to figure out. Forgive me if any of my terminology is incorrect.

I’m redoing a bathroom. Coming up out of the floor is a pvc 3 inch hub x spigot elbow. The “hub” is the part coming up out of the floor.

I need a toilet flange that will fit inside. The floor joist is blocking the way for an outside fit. I’ve researched and read the debates about having a 3 inch inside flange, it’s what I’m going to do. So I need a flange that will fit inside a 3 inch hub.

After trying several different flanges I finally found the one that will fit.

However, it seems to just barely reach the elbow hub connection, not really enough for a good connection. I’m putting on top of the new finished tile, so I’m not sure if the height of the new floor is making it not reach all the way.

So what do I do to make it reach?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The flange doesn't have to sit above the finish floor. You would want at least 1" overlap glue joint. What is below the floor? slab, crawl space, basement or the first floor? The flange can sit flush to the finish floor. The wax ring does all the sealing.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think they make longer flanges that are pipe size.
The flange doesn't have to sit above the finish floor. You would want at least 1" overlap glue joint. What is below the floor? slab, crawl space, basement or the first floor? The flange can sit flush to the finish floor. The wax ring does all the sealing.
He said he's putting it on top of the finished floor.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
In order to get better insertion, the tile could be finished to allow the flange to be inset / flush into the tile.

But also here is the afore mentioned deep spigot closet flange with stainless steel ring.

***Why doesn't my link look pretty like the above does? grrr***

Smithjoey

Reaction score
The basement is below. I’ve read opinions that the flange should go on top of the finished floor, so when I laid the tile that’s how I had it set up.

Are you sure that flange will fit right inside the elbow hub fitting? It seems like there are many flanges labeled to fit inside 3 inch, but are loose when I put them in and need to be specifically for inside 3 inch hub fitting.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure that flange will fit right inside the elbow hub fitting?
I think the Sioux Chief 888-PM is not the right product, Sioux Chief's literature, and that supplyhouse.com link, specify inside 3", which would mean inside a 3" pipe. You want an extended 3" spigot flange, 3" spigot means it fits in a 3" hub.

E.g. https://ipsplumbingproducts.com/brands/water-tite/closet-and-urinal-flanges/long-closet-flange/

Of course that's the manufacturer, not somewhere to buy it from. But the search terms you need are 'extended' or 'long' and '3" spigot flange'.

Cheers, Wayne

Smithjoey

Reaction score
I think the Sioux Chief 888-PM is not the right product, Sioux Chief's literature, and that supplyhouse.com link, specify inside 3", which would mean inside a 3" pipe. You want an extended 3" spigot flange, 3" spigot means it fits in a 3" hub.

E.g. https://ipsplumbingproducts.com/brands/water-tite/closet-and-urinal-flanges/long-closet-flange/

Of course that's the manufacturer, not somewhere to buy it from. But the search terms you need are 'extended' or 'long' and '3" spigot flange'.

Cheers, Wayne
That’s what I was suspecting. It seems like an extended 3” spigot flange doesn’t even exist to actually buy from somewhere? Is anyone able to point me to one that I can buy? Or, is there some other solution such as an extension to the elbow hub and then putting a flange into the extension?

Smithjoey

Reaction score
Thank you very much! I notice one review says once cut down, it doesn’t fit snug. Is there any way to avoid that from happening?

In theory if I wanted to use a regular length flange, could I also put a coupling of some sorts onto the elbow hub to basically raise it up? What coupling would that be? Just trying to see all the options. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks