Fixing improper venting, old house

Users who are viewing this thread

farmerisland

Reaction score
Hello,
This is an update/new question from my last post. My home has old all copper DWV from 1960 and earlier, with even older cast iron at basement level-down, that I'm replacing with PVC. Plumbing noise isn't an issue; I really don't want to do expensive cast. The current copper has pinholing.

My question today though is, since I'm opening up the floor to remodel in a bigger upstairs bathroom, and it's going to be all new lines, if this is my opportunity to fix a multi generational venting issue. I realize I'll have to probably have to cut open some lath & plaster to do so. I've attached a current diagram for reference.

Where I live rurally, I have zero code inspection to worry about, but I want to do the project right, having everything work correctly. I have attached a diagram I drew that shows how the current upstairs bath (1960) dumps right into the main stack, which is how the main floor bath (1945) vents up through the roof.

What is the best way to fix this? Would it be better/easier to run a separate waste line from upstairs down to below the main floor to tie in? Or is it better to keep the same main stack as drain for upstairs, but run a new vent pipe up from main floor bath fixtures, tying together in attic? If I can limit vent stacks through wet venting I will. Obviously this current dropping from floor to floor is not proper. I've commonly had problems with dry traps, sewer gas, and vent gurgling.

Screenshot_20210625-173439-01.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Venting goes up separately and waste goes down separately.
Wet venting is same floor fixtures, bathroom only.

dwv_b1.jpg

dwv_b2.jpg

The bathroom lav can wet vent the shower and toilet.
I can see why from the picture on your question why you would have problems with sewer gas in the home.
Proper plumbing isn't some trick that the government plays on you, it's what separates us from countries that are considered Third World.
Our homes don't stink, and the water is safe to drink. We don't consider diarrhea to be a normal thing.

Now would be a great time to fix those age old issues.

I have no problem with PVC waste and vents. Yes you can hear a toilet being flushed, but is it that big of a deal really?

farmerisland

Reaction score
Thanka for the quick reply @Terry . First off, no, the pvc isn't an issue at all for me. I only mentioned that and "noise" at the beginning to rule out anyone suggesting using new cast. Couple ppl on here earlier did so.

Does your attached diagram only show the toilet being wet vented upstairs? In my case, could I just run one vent stack up for that upstairs "fixture group", being wet vented? Then I'd still have to run a new vent line off the main bath, separate from the main stack being used for vent??

That's my main wondering... Whether it'd be better to do a new waste line down from upstairs, separate from current main stack... Or do I keep waste all the same, long as all those vents are added?

Also.... Is there a minimum lateral distance requirement between the vent stacks? Aka, can I run a new vent stack from main floor bath up the same open closet chase next to current main?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
on another thread you mentioned replcing copper with plastic and mentioned that you had your structure baddly butcheredI belive and plastic will likely mean more cutting, something to think about or not?
Farmer island all of those lav's need vents wont work like drawn at least aav. hard for me too point out exactly but your problem isnt the waste line its basicaly the venting one drain can cover whole house it just needs proper venting
Some of the codes get a little political but they are best basis for a well working system you seem very interested in having a proper system. I think we had some discussion on another question by you or another person on noise and castiron piping. My home is all plastic sort of upper mid price very common. but some not many are picky and I dont fault someone for liking castiron its very expensive and a bit frivolous luxury still very much used on commercial , industrial, institutional , and high rise residential in virtualy all big jobs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks