Fittings Not Fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Knight, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Knight

Knight New Member

I have a Shako valve that supposedly has 1/4" NPT ports (purchased from overseas... I'm in the US). I went to Home Depot and purchased a 1/4" nylon barb to go in one end of the valve and a 1/4" NPT brass hex nipple to go in the other end. The nylon barb will not even start going into the port and the hex nipple (which is tapered) goes in only about two threads and then stops. I have re-checked the size specifications of the barb and hex nipple, which both clearly state 1/4".

Is this normal for these fittings to be so tight and do I just have to wrench them in with more force? I don't want to damage the valve. Any suggestions? Thank You.

upload_2019-12-4_17-47-9.png

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Go back to your hardware store and see if they have a thread guage. Its probably metric threads.

Google produces a USA and a UK result too.. british threads!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Maybe you did cross-thread the nylon piece.

You could also compare the threads on the two pieces you bought. Are they the same pitch?

The thread gauge is the right tool to check the block, but I kinda thought the photo made the threads on the nylon piece look to be finer pitch that the brass piece.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I'm thinking they are metric too. They should thread in more than that.

6. Knight

Knight New Member

Thank you for your input. I had that thought as well (that one or the other was metric) I'm going back to the store tomorrow.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Take your Shako valve with you.

Tuttles Revenge and Knight like this.
  8. Knight

Knight New Member

I never went past that point in the picture with the nylon barb. I do have one barb that fits well/easily into the valve. I do not know the specs on this barb. The valve is supposedly 1/4" NPT, however the hex nipple, which is also supposedly 1/4" NPT does not fit. Here is a picture of the threads and their corresponding fit into the valve.

upload_2019-12-4_21-57-3.png

9. Knight

Knight New Member

Thank you for your response... confirming my thought that they should screw in farther than they are. Something is really 'off' here and I can't quite figure it out yet.

10. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_pipe_thread says to expectabout 4 turns for Hand-tight engagement.

Dies and taps can fix up threads that are too tight. I suspect out of spec NPT rather than metric, but it certainly could be a metric problem.