Faucet / under sink water filter systems getting same values, ppm TDS tests do they matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

markm75

Reaction score
I picked up a TDS meter online. Decided to check my faucet's levels.. i realize this isn't the most accurate way of testing if a filtration system is working, but I figured a good baseline.

My faucet came out at 115 ppm. The distilled water i have is at 1. Bottled water tank at work came in around 25.

So i purchased this water filtration system. APEC WFS-1000 (3 stage system) after already trying a simple counter top unit from a different vendor and the ppm came out worse.

After the effort of installing the water dispenser and putting it under the sink i tested the TDS (after letting it run for 10 mins or so). The values i'm getting are basically the same as the raw faucet.

So I guess the question is, how do i know short of a real water test on both the raw water and this filtered water, if its actually helping.

Thanks in advance

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the filter have any NSF ratings? Some filters are designed to remove chemicals, and won't have much effect on solids in the water.

markm75

Reaction score
Does the filter have any NSF ratings? Some filters are designed to remove chemicals, and won't have much effect on solids in the water.
I think it does. I'll have to check.

I think from what I read ppm differences don't matter so much because these leave minerals in the water and it may not change

Reach4

Reaction score
So I guess the question is, how do i know short of a real water test on both the raw water and this filtered water, if its actually helping.
Sensitive chlorine test strips would be one way, especially if the residual chlorine or chloramine was high enough into the filter.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A filter designed to absorb chemicals may only provide minimal, if any, particulate trapping. Some filters are multi-stage, and do, but they also cost more and may need to be replaced more often, depending on your water quality. Some, once they reach their limit, actually start to put those trapped chemicals back into the water, so replacing htem when needed is important.

On a particulate filter, as the media gets clogged up, the flow will decrease and eventually, may be blocked altogether.

Themp

Reaction score
My wife had been using a Brita filter and a simple pitcher setup for years. She used the water for coffee and drinking. We were both under the impression that the Brita filter was removing lead. But in reading about the the Flint, MI problems with lead in their water, the article talked about the ZeroWater pitcher filters that were given out to be used. Those did remove the lead and Brita did not. So, we bought one and it came with a TDS tester. And sure enough it did show a change from the Brita water(0 PPM). But the taste of the water was the same. We both were at the dentist getting our teeth cleaned and my wife brought up the ZeroWater filter. Well, that set off a discussion that it was also removing the fluoride in the water and that was not good for us. Even thought we used fluoride toothpaste, the water fluoride was better for our teeth. So, the ZeroWater pitcher is gone and the Brita is gone. And I have a TDS tester :)

https://www.zerowater.com/

markm75

Reaction score
In terms of blocking fluoride, i guess in the case of this 3 stage i just bought, someone said they replaced the 3rd stage carbon block with a bone carbon filter and it got rid of 99% of the fluoride, supposedly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks