Softener & Filter System Recommendations, Lab Test Results Included

Users who are viewing this thread

Hoonman

Reaction score
I recently did a SimpleTap test and received the results: gosimplelab.com/83By7QXpW7

I'm based in Orange County, CA. Our water comes from the Santa Ana River aquifer which is a runoff from the mountains and full of minerals. We already knew our water is very hard and this report tells us the true magnitude. They found 19.2 Grains and 328.4 total PPM (328.2 PPM Ca, Mg).
I have already gotten some quotes for salt softener units with RO units for under the sink included. It's become very difficult to compare units as there's a lot of obscured information and it seems like the sales process is deliberately opaque. Doing my own research online has turned into a complicated rabbit hole.

To make things slightly more complicated, our back yard sprinkler system would be downstream of a softener unit (front yard is not), so we were advised to either do a T and run a leg through the attic and down to the rear sprinkler valves, or use potassium salt instead.

I got several quotes and they all sound higher than I've seen in forums. I can't tell if any of them use Fleck or Clack valves, as again, they are not very clear about what's being quoted and looking these units up it's not clear what they're composed of. I see those recommended a lot in forums.

I just want softened water for my 3-bd 2-bth 1900 sq ft house, and RO filtered water for drinking. What would experts here recommend? Anything below, or something entirely different? And are these prices way out of line? THANK YOU in advance for any help. Info on what type of RO to get for our specific water would be supremely helpful. We have a toddler and want him drinking the best water possible.

Here's some info about what I quoted below, for reference:
  • HC3-25CX Whole Home Water Softening & Filtration System ~$5k
  • AO Smith 10/54 RC Whole Home Water Softening and Filtration System ~$6k
  • Hague - WaterMax Whole Home Water Softening and Filtration System (salesman says this is best and requires almost no replacement of filters and other consumables, while using about 75% less salt and water than others). ~$8k

Reach4

Reaction score
I was going to send you a message, but you blocked that.

Hoonman

Reaction score
I was going to send you a message, but you blocked that.
I’m not sure why it didn’t let you, it wasn’t intentional, sorry! I looked in my settings and “start conversations with you” was set to “members only”. I changed some of the other settings to that, hopefully that will make it work if you try again. I’ll send you a message too so maybe it will let you just reply.

oc-alan

Reaction score
I recently did a SimpleTap test and received the results: gosimplelab.com/83By7QXpW7

I'm based in Orange County, CA. Our water comes from the Santa Ana River aquifer which is a runoff from the mountains and full of minerals. We already knew our water is very hard and this report tells us the true magnitude. They found 19.2 Grains and 328.4 total PPM (328.2 PPM Ca, Mg).
I have already gotten some quotes for salt softener units with RO units for under the sink included. It's become very difficult to compare units as there's a lot of obscured information and it seems like the sales process is deliberately opaque. Doing my own research online has turned into a complicated rabbit hole.

To make things slightly more complicated, our back yard sprinkler system would be downstream of a softener unit (front yard is not), so we were advised to either do a T and run a leg through the attic and down to the rear sprinkler valves, or use potassium salt instead.

I got several quotes and they all sound higher than I've seen in forums. I can't tell if any of them use Fleck or Clack valves, as again, they are not very clear about what's being quoted and looking these units up it's not clear what they're composed of. I see those recommended a lot in forums.

I just want softened water for my 3-bd 2-bth 1900 sq ft house, and RO filtered water for drinking. What would experts here recommend? Anything below, or something entirely different? And are these prices way out of line? THANK YOU in advance for any help. Info on what type of RO to get for our specific water would be supremely helpful. We have a toddler and want him drinking the best water possible.

• Hague - WaterMax Whole Home Water Softening and Filtration System (salesman says this is best and requires almost no replacement of filters and other consumables, while using about 75% less salt and water than others). ~$8k
Hi. What did you end up going with and are you happy with it?

laserblazer

Reaction score

I'm interested to know who and what system you went with. I live in OC as well and was recently quoted those same 3 systems with very similar pricing, so I'm assuming we met with the same salesman.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks