Enlarging a hole in counter for a soap dispenser

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Terry, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I have a job where the existing soap dispenser holes are too small. I need to enlarge the holes to a standard size without the drill bit skating around and marring the laminate. Does anyone know of a bit that centers up and allows a larger cutout? The 1/4" pilot on mine is useless.

2. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Screw a piece of plywood to the underside of the hole and drill a new hole. They make a uni- bit.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    toolaholic likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

toolaholic likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    That would work if my pilot was long enough.

5. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Look into uni- bit.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Ideas:

1. With the hole saw, drill a hole in a piece of plywood or, even better, hardwood. Position that hole over the existing hole and clamp that down. (that clamping would be the hard part). Then drill from above.

2a. Drill piece of wood with a hole saw. Make the OD of the resulting removed cylinder be a tight-enough fit for the existing hole.
    2b. Replace the pilot drill of the hole saw with a rod OR turn the pilot drill around to make the

shank stick out OR use a long "Aircraft Drill Bit" for the pilot,

. [​IMG]

This avoids the pilot drill from milling the hole oblong.
    3c. Glue the cylinder into the existing hole, glue the cylinder to the pilot rod/drill, OR support the cylinder from below somehow.

7. Bert Lee

Bert Lee Member

A hole trick I have used for speaker cabinets and such is to make an MDF template, any dimension outside, square, rectangle, doesn't matter, and drill the size hole I need with that hole saw. The double stick that template over the smaller hole using that MDF template as an outside guide for the hole saw. No pilot required. Keeps that from walking and once you're in a small ways on the new hole it will guide itself. Should fine on any smooth surface, non marring, etc.

You'll get the idea from this project. You can clamp, double stick tape, or there is a really cool and effective masking tape and super glue trick I can share if interested.

Hole 1.JPG Hole 2.JPG Hole 3.JPG

Michael Young and dj2 like this.
  8. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

Clamping a jig is probably the best way.. Start nice and slow or even in reverse to score the laminate.

9. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

I would try a varibit
    upload_2019-11-23_9-30-47.png

10. Bert Lee

Bert Lee Member

Step drills are great for thin materials up to to the depth of each step's respective shoulder height but if his hole is deeper that that say 1/8" how would that help? It might get a hole started and create a boundary that his hole saw could follow and prevent wandering I suppose. But a prr drilled scrap template, clamped or adhered to the surface would do the exact same thing for about $75.92 less.

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I am interested. How do you get superglue to let go when done?

12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Superglue it to the tape. When done, pull the whole thing up, including the tape.

13. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

It's worth a try. And Terry's been doing this a long time. He already owns a step bit

Bert Lee likes this.
  14. Bert Lee

Bert Lee Member

This video will show the way. Where I learned it. Easy peasy. Technique starts around 2:54. Understand he's a guitar builder so he's using in that application but the idea works with any flat/smooth to flat/smooth surface. Holds tight and releases, cleans up easily.

Woodworker applications:

Machinist application:

15. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    With compatible materials, I find hot glue works very well to hold a template and can later be removed with no residue. I use diamond core drills with hot glued templates to drill through tile or granite.

Another trick I've done with hole saws that have a 1/4" pilot drill to enlarge an existing hole is to make a hardwood plug that is a close fit in the existing hole using a smaller hole saw. Then just slip the plug over the pilot bit with a bit of Teflon tape and the plug acts at the pilot.

Tuttles Revenge and Bert Lee like this.
  16. kreemoweet

kreemoweet In the Trades

Reach4 likes this.
  17. Bert Lee

Bert Lee Member

Cool tool. This looks interesting and simple too. But for existing holes larger that 3" so no good for smaller holes.

https://www.amazon.com/Hole-Pro-Enl...CT9QK1EWEGS&psc=1&refRID=GXZZJF6S5CT9QK1EWEGS

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019