How to drill hole for RO dispenser in granite and stainless

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to drill a hole in a countertop for a reverse osmosis water dispenser. I need to go through the granite countertop and the stainless lip of an undermount sink. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this without destroying too many drill bits?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Diamond hole saws will cut through anything if you don't destroy it first. The action is more like grinding a hole versus what we think of as cutting like into metal or wood. The diamonds on the saw are quite small. If you apply too much force, you'll tear them out of the metal bonding them in place. Since you're grinding things, the heat can also mess up the bit, so keeping it wet helps to keep things cool.

Many diamond hole saws do not have a center pilot bit. If yours does not, the magic is to first start the hole with the bit at about a 45-degree angle, using the edge, start to make a divot and slowly rotate the drill body perpendicular to the surface, otherwise, it will tend to skate all over the place. Another way is to drill a through hole in say a piece of plywood, clamp that in place where you want the hole, and use that to hold the bit in place and keep it from wandering.

If you keep the bit lubricated and don't apply too much pressure, it can last quite awhile. Otherwise, you can ruin one quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks