Dishwasher electrical hookup

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Sparco41, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Sparco41

Sparco41 New Member

It’s time to replace a dishwasher that is hardwired with a switch above the kitchen counter. I understand the new one should be plugged into a GFCI outlet that is accessible without pulling out the dishwasher. Should I surface mount a non-conducting outlet box on the other side of the cabinet wall (under the sink) and drill a hole for the electrical cord to pass through the cabinet and plug into the new outlet under the sink? Should I care that only the outlet will be GFCI protected and the wall switch will not be protected? Should I do something different from what I describe?

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You only need the GFI for the dishwasher. Drilling the side of the cabinet would be fine. Sometimes the breaker at the box is a GFI. Sometimes.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Sparco41

Sparco41 New Member

Thank you!