Wiring outdoor equipment cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

Theodore

Reaction score
Hi, we’ve a 1HP air compressor housed in a dedicated weatherproof outdoor cabinet (2ftx2ftx4ft) that provides air to our pond aeration system. It’s 240V and the cabinet interior has dedicated 240V outlets mounted to the inside of the wall. It was previously wired by just having an underground romex come up directly into the cabinet. No conduit. No wire protection. We just installed 1.5” PVC electrical conduit and new wire from the outdoor panel shutoff on the side of the house (similar to an AC outdoor switch panel), underground for 25ft, and up into the underside of the cabinet. What is the appropriate, NEC-compliant, way to go from this conduit to the outlet mounted on the inside of the cabinet? Do I have to continue with rigid conduit inside the cabinet all the way to the outlet, or can I use a whip inside the cabinet? I don't want to leave it as-is because the romex wire between the conduit and the outlet may eventually get damaged with compressor removal/install (for annual maintenance).
Thank you.
Theodore

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Where in New York for local code questions? Inside wiring requirements can be different depending on the local jurisdiction's.

Afjes

Reaction score
It was previously wired by just having an underground romex come up directly into the cabinet.
If it was actually wired with Romex and not UF (since not in conduit) outside this is against code. Romex can not be used outside in conduit and it can not of course be used outside without conduit. If this is the case this must be addressed first.

Are you sure it was Romex and not UF?

Theodore

Reaction score
The previous wiring situation was by others and was wrong and is now gone. Noted on the UF in conduit outdoors and I'll double check that is the case. Any input on the connection from the conduit to the outlet in the cabinet?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do I have to continue with rigid conduit inside the cabinet all the way to the outlet, or can I use a whip inside the cabinet?
You need a continuous conduit system from enclosure to enclosure before you pull in conductors (e.g. THWN-2), but it doesn't all have to be non-flexible.

You do need to maintain continuity of your EGC, so if you are using metal conduit as your EGC, that would restrict what sorts of flexible conduits you could change over to within the shed. If you have a wire type EGC and metal conduit, there's no restriction, other than that the metal conduit portion must extend to one enclosure or the other in a type that qualifies as an EGC to bond the metal conduit.

Also, you are limited to 360 degrees of bend between pull points. So if you are looking to use flexible conduit inside the cabinet to handle several bends, then you'd likely need to set a pull point (box or conduit body) at the changeover point between the non-flexible conduit and the flexible conduit.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks