Delta Tub Spout Installation Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

BriPod

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Few quick questions around a delta tub spout install.
If you can only answer a few, then great! Just need some general guidance.

Note: this is the shower/tub combo, so the spout has a diverter on it. Very similar to this with the adapter on the left.

delta-extendable-diverter-tub-spout-with-brass-inserts-example.jpg

1) Delta mentions only ONE 90 degree elbow can be used for the tub spout plumbing (I assume for back pressure reasons). Is there anything wrong with using a straight sleeve in the line to join two pieces of copper?

2) How far do I want the pipe protruding from the finished wall? The adapter appears to be the sweat type, but also has female threads on the interior of the adapter (see above image; left adapter).

3) Having the spout 8" above the tub apron - is that too high? I set my rough-in slightly higher for the convenience of those who use it as a shower. Even with Delta's max drop of 18", that still sets the faucet 8" above the tub.

4) Is 18" from the rough-in really the max spout drop or can I stretch it to 20" without any noticeable issues?

Thanks everyone!
-Brian

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

The Delta adapter can be installed with a pipe nipple using the threads, or soldered onto copper pipe. You can use a coupling to extend the pipe if needed. I have not tried a very long extension from the valve from the spout so I can't verify the max on that. You do need to keep the sizing to copper and not PEX or CPVC. Downsizing forces water up to the shower head. I've seen that with PEX.
A spout 8" above the tub would be fine.

delta_tub_spout_a2.jpg

tub-spout-adapter-terrylove-02.jpg

Last edited:

BriPod

Reaction score
Thanks again Terry!

The wife approved the spout 8" above the tub, so I'll leave it at that.

Typically, how long will I need the pipe extending from the wall for the spout? Didn't mention anything about length in the instructions.

I also see the spout has quit a bit of thread length. Does the spout to be threaded all the way down or just somewhere along the threads as long as it meets the wall?

Reach4

Reaction score
2) How far do I want the pipe protruding from the finished wall? The adapter appears to be the sweat type, but also has female threads on the interior of the adapter (see above image; left adapter).
My notes say
Thread onto 1/2" IPS nipple - 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface. I think that means that the end of the nipple would be that far from the wall. Then the adapter would get closer to the wall as you screw onto the nipple.
or
Sweat onto 1/2" CWT - 1/4" to 1" from wall surface.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hi Terry,
I read your article about "copper pipe too short." and am asking for advice. We hired a plumber to "switch out" the old silver tub and shower equipment with a new champagne bronze. After removing the old tub spout, he told us the copper pipe is too short and he will need to go through the wall behind and install a new one. We hired a second plumber and he said the same thing.

Your article made it seem like you could do this another way. Can you please give me your thoughts and also recommend a plumber who might fix this without costing us a fortune? We live in Smyrna, Georgia.

Attached are the pictures of the pipe and the spout we were trying to have installed.

Thank you,
Ann

delta-tub-spout-stub.jpg

delta-tub-spout-adapters.jpg

Ann,
If the copper is too short, you can add more copper with a coupling, solder that up.
Then slip the adapter over the the end, remove the O-ring and solder near the end. Replace the O-Ring and thread the spout on.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks