Delta Tub Spout Installation Questions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by BriPod, Jan 10, 2017.

1. BriPod

BriPod New Member

Hey everyone!

Few quick questions around a delta tub spout install.
    If you can only answer a few, then great! Just need some general guidance.

Note: this is the shower/tub combo, so the spout has a diverter on it. Very similar to this with the adapter on the left.
    [​IMG]

1) Delta mentions only ONE 90 degree elbow can be used for the tub spout plumbing (I assume for back pressure reasons). Is there anything wrong with using a straight sleeve in the line to join two pieces of copper?

2) How far do I want the pipe protruding from the finished wall? The adapter appears to be the sweat type, but also has female threads on the interior of the adapter (see above image; left adapter).

3) Having the spout 8" above the tub apron - is that too high? I set my rough-in slightly higher for the convenience of those who use it as a shower. Even with Delta's max drop of 18", that still sets the faucet 8" above the tub.

4) Is 18" from the rough-in really the max spout drop or can I stretch it to 20" without any noticeable issues?

Thanks everyone!
    -Brian

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

The Delta adapter can be installed with a pipe nipple using the threads, or soldered onto copper pipe. You can use a coupling to extend the pipe if needed. I have not tried a very long extension from the valve from the spout so I can't verify the max on that. You do need to keep the sizing to copper and not PEX or CPVC. Downsizing forces water up to the shower head. I've seen that with PEX.
    A spout 8" above the tub would be fine.

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. BriPod

BriPod New Member

Thanks again Terry!

The wife approved the spout 8" above the tub, so I'll leave it at that.

Typically, how long will I need the pipe extending from the wall for the spout? Didn't mention anything about length in the instructions.

I also see the spout has quit a bit of thread length. Does the spout to be threaded all the way down or just somewhere along the threads as long as it meets the wall?

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

My notes say
    Thread onto 1/2" IPS nipple - 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface. I think that means that the end of the nipple would be that far from the wall. Then the adapter would get closer to the wall as you screw onto the nipple.
    or
    Sweat onto 1/2" CWT - 1/4" to 1" from wall surface.

6. Terry

Plumber
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  7. Terry

Plumber
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their basic tub spout here. RP5834