Delta Single Handle Shower Faucet Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

ngs428

Reaction score
I have a Delta single handle shower faucet that was probably installed in the 1980's by the previous homeowner. I have a slight drip at the shower head and am looking to replace the ball and seats in the valve.

I purchased a Delta 212 ball and a Delta RP3614 repair kit.

The seats in my install look like there isn't a spring behind them. They seem like they are a solid rubber piece. Is this possible? See inner picture below.

Also, the existing ball has 1 hole on the bottom and 3 on the top. The new ball 212 has 3 holes on top and 3 on bottom. I can't seem to find a replacement ball with only the 4 holes. Does anyone know a part number?

Outer Pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b592welznbd962p/2017-10-14 08.23.38.jpg?dl=0

Existing Ball:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w70f0em9xi8o6ue/2017-10-14 07.54.13.jpg?dl=0

Inner Picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7tknn4unqwac30/2017-10-14 07.51.55.jpg?dl=0

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

delta-conversion-1.jpg

You will have springs behind the rubber seals.
NOTE: RP54870 includes lever handle, set screw, wrench, escutcheon, bonnet, cam/lip seal and seats & springs.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry, are you trying to confuse him by showing a "conversion ball" which has nothing to do with his question?
Maybe........No. Maybe. Delta didn't have any information on their website except that. I guess the old stuff is too old for them

ngs428

Reaction score
Terry, are you trying to confuse him by showing a "conversion ball" which has nothing to do with his question?
Maybe........No. Maybe. Delta didn't have any information on their website except that. I guess the old stuff is too old for them

Thanks for the feedback.

My ball has 3 holes on the top and 1 hole in the bottom. The one included in RP54870 does not seem to have that. Must be due to the conversion to the lever handle?

The ball I have seems to be OK, I am assuming the seats are the issue. Could I not use the springs and seats (RP4993) that I have in RP3614 I bought, use the old ball, and the new cam assembly I bought with RP3614?

I can't seem to find the part number for the ball I have.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The springs/gasket will probably work with the old ball. Come Monday, call Delta's tech support.

ngs428

Reaction score
The springs/gasket will probably work with the old ball. Come Monday, call Delta's tech support.
I have been in touch with them via email over the last couple days. Just sent them some pictures today. We will see what they say.

I would just do the RP54870 kit but it states that it is for replacing a 212 ball, which I don’t have. I would have thought that I would have had a 212... not sure what I have there...

ngs428

Reaction score
It looks like the RP1181 is the correct spring from the pictures I saw on the internet and Deta’s advice. I should be able to couple them with the old ball (which is solid by the way, other than the 4 holes) and the RP3614 cam.

I was not aware of this older spring type, but this does make more sense now.