Delta Single Handle Shower Faucet Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

ngs428

Reaction score
I have a Delta single handle shower faucet that was probably installed in the 1980's by the previous homeowner. I have a slight drip at the shower head and am looking to replace the ball and seats in the valve.

I purchased a Delta 212 ball and a Delta RP3614 repair kit.

The seats in my install look like there isn't a spring behind them. They seem like they are a solid rubber piece. Is this possible? See inner picture below.

Also, the existing ball has 1 hole on the bottom and 3 on the top. The new ball 212 has 3 holes on top and 3 on bottom. I can't seem to find a replacement ball with only the 4 holes. Does anyone know a part number?

Outer Pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b592welznbd962p/2017-10-14 08.23.38.jpg?dl=0

Existing Ball:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w70f0em9xi8o6ue/2017-10-14 07.54.13.jpg?dl=0

Inner Picture:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7tknn4unqwac30/2017-10-14 07.51.55.jpg?dl=0

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

delta-conversion-1.jpg

You will have springs behind the rubber seals.
NOTE: RP54870 includes lever handle, set screw, wrench, escutcheon, bonnet, cam/lip seal and seats & springs.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry, are you trying to confuse him by showing a "conversion ball" which has nothing to do with his question?
Maybe........No. Maybe. Delta didn't have any information on their website except that. I guess the old stuff is too old for them

ngs428

Reaction score
Terry, are you trying to confuse him by showing a "conversion ball" which has nothing to do with his question?
Maybe........No. Maybe. Delta didn't have any information on their website except that. I guess the old stuff is too old for them

Thanks for the feedback.

My ball has 3 holes on the top and 1 hole in the bottom. The one included in RP54870 does not seem to have that. Must be due to the conversion to the lever handle?

The ball I have seems to be OK, I am assuming the seats are the issue. Could I not use the springs and seats (RP4993) that I have in RP3614 I bought, use the old ball, and the new cam assembly I bought with RP3614?

I can't seem to find the part number for the ball I have.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The springs/gasket will probably work with the old ball. Come Monday, call Delta's tech support.

ngs428

Reaction score
The springs/gasket will probably work with the old ball. Come Monday, call Delta's tech support.
I have been in touch with them via email over the last couple days. Just sent them some pictures today. We will see what they say.

I would just do the RP54870 kit but it states that it is for replacing a 212 ball, which I don’t have. I would have thought that I would have had a 212... not sure what I have there...

ngs428

Reaction score
It looks like the RP1181 is the correct spring from the pictures I saw on the internet and Deta’s advice. I should be able to couple them with the old ball (which is solid by the way, other than the 4 holes) and the RP3614 cam.

I was not aware of this older spring type, but this does make more sense now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks