Delta R22000 plasterguard doesn't sit plumb

Users who are viewing this thread

diy-goonery

Reaction score
I'm in the process of plumbing a shower valve, and very carefully read the instructions and took measurements to install my stringer board for the rough-in valve at the correct depth.

However, after installing it, I double-checked the placement of the front of the plasterguard, and found that it does not sit plumb, even though the stringer board is dead plumb. A couple photos attached. The plasterguard on this valve is attached to the valve body with a single screw, and it is snug, but there is a certain amount of play in it. I'm thinking when the trim attaches, it will force the plastic plumb, but its a little annoying because I'd really like to double-check the valve is set at the correct depth before starting to put stuff over it. I also don't want the entire trim to sit out-of-plumb and have no way to rectify it. If I need to re-set the stringer out of plumb to make the plasterguard plumb, now is my chance.
Screenshot from 2024-02-08 18-46-01.png

Screenshot from 2024-02-08 18-46-14.png

Screenshot from 2024-02-08 18-46-25.png

diy-goonery

Reaction score
The valve body faces is what you need to check for plumb. the plasterguard is just a cut out aide.
Actually, for this rough-in valve, there are no female threads on the valve itself to accept the trim. The plasterguard itself has four holes that accept the valve trim-out kit. So the plasterguard is actually what holds the trim to the valve. You can kind see the 4 threaded holes in my first photo.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I do is screw the valve to the stringer. Put two screws in the stringer. Then plumb the valve face and put the final two screws in the stringer.

The other option is to loosen the screws that hold the valve onto the stinger and slip shimms between the valve and stringer.

The trim will rest on the wall and be however plumb the wall is. The valve face is what you want to be semi plumb.

I believe the instructions say plus or minus 1/4" so if your not sticking out of the wall more than that the trim should suck up to the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks