Closet flange that fits inside 3" pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

pecck

Reaction score
While I was out to pick up some sandpaper I found a closet flange that fits (see picture). It has a rubber gasket, the flange fits but by no means is it snug. My concern is even with the glue it won't create a tight seal because it isn't snug enough to adhere. Could I put a wax ring under the flange between the flange and the floor and another wax ring on top between the flange and the toilet?

Attachments

• flange 4.jpg
    flange 4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 419

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a more affordable flange removal tool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flange-Off...d-twice-Great-condition-109-5010/174424113435

The new flange with the rubber gasket isn't meant to be glued, that's what the rubber gasket is for. You just pop it in and secure it. Because it's not a glue fit, they made the PVC part a bit narrower so isn't obstructed by your remnant flange.

If you want to use a glued in flange, I'm pretty sure it's just that top 3/8" remnant flange that is obstructing you, shouldn't take much removal to let it fit. On the other hand, the gasket flange has the advantage of being more easily reversed in the future.

I assume you're going to add some filler material over the subfloor, to bring the bottom of the flange up to the same elevation as the top of the tile? For the thicker PVC flanges, it's possible that that's a hair too high, and your filler material should put the middle of the flange thickness at the same height as the top of the tile.

Cheers, Wayne

pecck

Reaction score

Hey, that's a pretty nifty tool. Now I'm torn, do the right thing and get the tool or call it a day with the closet flange I just purchased.
I assume you're going to add some filler material over the subfloor, to bring the bottom of the flange up to the same elevation as the top of the tile? For the thicker PVC flanges, it's possible that that's a hair too high, and your filler material should put the middle of the flange thickness at the same height as the top of the tile.

Cheers, Wayne

I did pick up a spacer while looking for the sandpaper.

BTW - thank you everyone for all the amazing suggestions and great information you provided me.

Attachments

• flange 5.jpg
    flange 5.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 418

Reach4

Reaction score
While I was out to pick up some sandpaper I found a closet flange that fits (see picture). It has a rubber gasket, the flange fits but by no means is it snug. My concern is even with the glue it won't create a tight seal because it isn't snug enough to adhere. Could I put a wax ring under the flange between the flange and the floor and another wax ring on top between the flange and the toilet?
That looks like an Oatey PVC Twist-n-Set Open Flange.

That tightens up as you twist. The PVC is tapered, and as you turn, the rubber gets expanded.

But I would not put wax under that. You would need something much stronger.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, plumbers tend to not like all-plastic toilet flanges...it's easy to distort or crack them.

You will want to ensure that you use some caulk sealant around the base of the toilet to help hold it in place and prevent crud from seeping underneath the toilet. Especially over tile, you cannot rely on the toilet's bolts to hold it in place, and that can lead to cracking the flange and compromising the wax seal.

When setting the toilet, push it down into the wax with your weight, not by tightening the nuts. Once it's sitting tight to the floor, you can snug up the nuts, but don't go overboard or you can crack the toilet. Don't use it until the caulk has a chance to cure.

pecck

Reaction score
FWIW, plumbers tend to not like all-plastic toilet flanges...it's easy to distort or crack them.

You will want to ensure that you use some caulk sealant around the base of the toilet to help hold it in place and prevent crud from seeping underneath the toilet. Especially over tile, you cannot rely on the toilet's bolts to hold it in place, and that can lead to cracking the flange and compromising the wax seal.

When setting the toilet, push it down into the wax with your weight, not by tightening the nuts. Once it's sitting tight to the floor, you can snug up the nuts, but don't go overboard or you can crack the toilet. Don't use it until the caulk has a chance to cure.

Thank you for the advice, I'll be sure to follow it. My 4th grader is looking forward to having her toilet back :)

pecck

Reaction score
That looks like an Oatey PVC Twist-n-Set Open Flange.

That tightens up as you twist. The PVC is tapered, and as you turn, the rubber gets expanded.

But I would not put wax under that. You would need something much stronger.

I didn't know that about twisting it, thank you. Question though, should I start with the gasket at the bottom of the flange then twist or push the gasket to the top of the threads then twist? I assume righty tighty lefty loosy even for something like this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I didn't know that about twisting it, thank you. Question though, should I start with the gasket at the bottom of the flange then twist or push the gasket to the top of the threads then twist? I assume righty tighty lefty loosy even for something like this?
I haven't actually seen one. I would think you would tighten enough to get a little drag, insert, and rotate.
This does seem to be a case where spacers could be good -- where you are just using the spacers for mechanical positioning and not for sealing.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The ideal, design position of the flange is to be installed on top of the finished floor. If the hole around the tile is big enough for the flange to fit on the subflooring, adding a spacer or two underneath, prior to installing the new flange to bring it up to the design height makes some sense. Then, you'll only need one standard wax ring to make the seal. Extra thick wax rings run the (low) risk of potential blowout if you ever aggressively plunge the toilet, and, if you're stacking them, the chance that one shifts and partially blocks the opening.

pecck

Reaction score
The ideal, design position of the flange is to be installed on top of the finished floor. If the hole around the tile is big enough for the flange to fit on the subflooring, adding a spacer or two underneath, prior to installing the new flange to bring it up to the design height makes some sense. Then, you'll only need one standard wax ring to make the seal. Extra thick wax rings run the (low) risk of potential blowout if you ever aggressively plunge the toilet, and, if you're stacking them, the chance that one shifts and partially blocks the opening.
Good advice, thank you.

I'm using one spacer, I'll drill that into my subfloor, then add the closet flange on top also drilling that into my subfloor. Add an extra thick was ring (as suggested) and put the new toilet on. Sure learned a lot here, ready for anything toilet related now. Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• flange 6.jpg
    flange 6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 422

Reach4

Reaction score
'm using one spacer, I'll drill that into my subfloor, then add the closet flange on top also drilling that into my subfloor. Add an extra thick was ring (as suggested) and put the new toilet on.
That wasn't what was suggested, if I read correctly. The think the need for an extra-thick wax ring was a caution.

I think you would be better off to add another spacer, or use a thicker spacer, to bring the spacer level up closer to floor surface level.

pecck

Reaction score
That wasn't what was suggested, if I read correctly. The think the need for an extra-thick wax ring was a caution.

I think you would be better off to add another spacer, or use a thicker spacer, to bring the spacer level up closer to floor surface level.

Sorry, I'll take a word of caution as a suggestion any day. But, I am happy to say that great minds think alike and I did purchase two spacers. In this image is both spacers with the closet flange about 1/2" off the tile. Do you think that's good, or another spacer would be better in this situation?

Attachments

• flange 7.jpg
    flange 7.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 386

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are good at that level.

If your screws through the subfloor don't grab, you could figure out how to use something like Molly anchors or other anchors.

How was that expansion feature on the closet flange? Did it grab nicely?

pecck

Reaction score
I think you are good at that level.

If your screws through the subfloor don't grab, you could figure out how to use something like Molly anchors or other anchors.

How was that expansion feature on the closet flange? Did it grab nicely?

Right now I'm just making sure I've got all I need before I start doing something permanent. I'll be sure to check back in and give an update on how my project went. Thanks for the anchors advice.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The screws on the bottom seem long. Ideally they'd fully penetrate the subfloor but stick out only around 1/4" beneath it.

More importantly, the way the flange makes contact with the spacer at the conical portion rather than at the flange itself is not good. You want direct support under the flange.

Cheers, Wayne

pecck

Reaction score
The screws on the bottom seem long. Ideally they'd fully penetrate the subfloor but stick out only around 1/4" beneath it.

More importantly, the way the flange makes contact with the spacer at the conical portion rather than at the flange itself is not good. You want direct support under the flange.

Cheers, Wayne

I'm out of ideas for the connection between the spacer and flange, both are by the same manufacturer.
I was just about to say that I'm going to go and get this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Set-...-in-Toilet-Flange-Extender-Kit-For/1000195003 from my local Lowe's. I should have just found and purchased this to begin with. Looks like a have a few spare parts to return.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm out of ideas for the connection between the spacer and flange, both are by the same manufacturer.

I was just about to say that I'm going to go and get this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Set-...-in-Toilet-Flange-Extender-Kit-For/1000195003 from my local Lowe's. I should have just found and purchased this to begin with. Looks like a have a few spare parts to return.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Set-Rite-Plastic-4-in-in-Toilet-Flange-Spacer-Kit-For/1000194999 is just the rings. Maybe the yellow thing with the kit you point to works. Looking forward to seeing how that works for you.

That Oatey Twist-N-Set flange with the expandable seal seems more positive, since you don't have much for wax under the yellow flange to work against.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When the base of the flange is flush with the finished floor, a standard wax ring should work fine. A jumbo is often used when the flange is recessed below the finished floor. Too much wax can be an issue if it ends up squeezing into the drain opening, but that doesn't usually happen unless it isn't centered properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks