Closet flange that fits inside 3" pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

pecck

Reaction score
Before I had the issue of the closet flange not sitting flat atop the spacers. This new kit is great, but the spacers are just a bit wider than the opening in my floor. I used the original Oatey spacers, then one of the spacers from the Oatey self-rite extender kit along with the gasket and yellow flange. Nice clean fit and level. Any foreseeable issues with this?

Attachments

• CB51299E-E407-42F0-A606-51F096A2AFCB.jpeg
    CB51299E-E407-42F0-A606-51F096A2AFCB.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 183
  • AAD2F0F8-A9E4-4FFE-A9BF-4683B253579B.jpeg
    AAD2F0F8-A9E4-4FFE-A9BF-4683B253579B.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 85981DD1-07E7-4414-A3B5-C06955C092A2.jpeg
    85981DD1-07E7-4414-A3B5-C06955C092A2.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 197D29B8-F814-4BD2-9847-086795A3D3B2.jpeg
    197D29B8-F814-4BD2-9847-086795A3D3B2.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 185

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, of the maybe 5 toilets I've installed, one time the toilet was incompatible with a PVC flange set directly on the finish floor. That arrangement resulted in a flange that was too high for that toilet. So I would suggest setting the top of flange 1/8" - 1/4" above finish floor, like the metal flanges are.

I also don't understand that kit, what the gasket is for and how the yellow flange seals to the the pipe below the floor. Perhaps someone else does, I'm a little too busy to check the directions on it right now.

Where the spacers are too big, you could just cut a little bit off to make them fit between the tiles.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I used the original Oatey spacers, then one of the spacers from the Oatey self-rite extender kit along with the gasket and yellow flange. Nice clean fit and level. Any foreseeable issues with this?
Does the yellow seal tight to the PVC to stop gasses? That would be my concern.

pecck

Reaction score
FWIW, of the maybe 5 toilets I've installed, one time the toilet was incompatible with a PVC flange set directly on the finish floor. That arrangement resulted in a flange that was too high for that toilet. So I would suggest setting the top of flange 1/8" - 1/4" above finish floor, like the metal flanges are.

I also don't understand that kit, what the gasket is for and how the yellow flange seals to the the pipe below the floor. Perhaps someone else does, I'm a little too busy to check the directions on it right now.
The gasket creates the seal, the opening is slightly smaller in diameter than the yellow gasket creating a tight seal when pushed through.
Where the spacers are too big, you could just cut a little bit off to make them fit between the tiles.

Cheers, Wayne

I don't have to tools to cut away at the tile.

Thanks as always for the help.

pecck

Reaction score

Great advice, I sat the toilet on top as a test and sure enough it wasn't flush on the floor.

Reach4

Reaction score
Great advice, I sat the toilet on top as a test and sure enough it wasn't flush on the floor.
If using wax above the yellow, before placing the wax, check for rocking. Rocking could be from the yellow being too high. It could also just be the nature of the toilet and floor. If any rocking is possible on your dry fitting, you will want to place shims to prevent rocking. Mark or tape the positions of the shims. Then lift the toilet off of the shims. Drop the wax, and place the toilet.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have to tools to cut away at the tile.
I was proposing cutting the plastic spacers, not the tile.

If the yellow flange doesn't seal to the pipe directly, I would suggest using the earlier inside flange that does seal, along with the new spacers, cut down as required to fit.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks