Clogged toilet caused major flooding

Users who are viewing this thread

Roger Bay

Reaction score
I manage a vacation home and got a call that the toilet was flooding. When I got there I found the toilet was clogged with too much paper (looked like they tried to flush 1/3 of a roll!). Anyway, the entire downstairs was flooded, but I don't understand how. If the toilet clogged shouldn't the overflow be limited to whatever water is held in the tank? The guest said they tried to flush the toilet 2 or 3 times, so I could see an overflow of 2 or 3 tanks fulls, but the entire downstairs was flooded and my shop vac picked up at least 50 gallons of water. After the clog was removed the toilet seems to be working properly, no stuck toilet lever, it fills normally and the flapper isn't leaking. So I just don't understand where the 50+ gallons of water came from if they only tried to flush 2 or 3 times.

JRC3

Reaction score
The overflow drains right in to the bowl. Also, maybe the flapper maybe didn't seat properly.

This very thing happened to a friend 10 years ago. Daughter clogged an upstairs toilet and the flapper didn't seat, she left the house for school. Because it was toilet water all the carpet and hardwood downstairs got replaced. Of course ServPro wanted to clean the carpets to save money. I told my friend that a claim is a claim and a few thousand dollars won't make a difference, get it replaced for new. All and all the claim was $38K.

That was about the time AS came out with The Champion toilet and he saw the golf ball demo and had to have it. I'm sure there are better flushers out there. I think a vacation rental or even a regular residental rental should have a super dependable flusher. If a toilet needs replaced, spend the extra hundred and get something better. Replacing an old junk 80-90s low-flush toilet would pay for itself in one mishap like yours.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the fill valve continues to overfill the tank that could happen. Water goes down the overflow, into a plugged bowl, that then cascades water up and over the bowl rim.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks