Check valve suggestion

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Papote, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Papote

Papote New Member

About 2 years ago, I had my main water valve replaced and installed a swing check valve. After running my water booster pump, I noticed I was losing pressure when all the faucets were off. I had the guys that install it come back and check. The removed the clapper and cleaned it but apparently due to the hard water in my area it corroded it rather quickly.

I am looking for a suggestion to replace the swing check valve with a high quality one so it'll last more than 2 years.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Flapper checks are not good. You want a metal, spring loaded, poppet style check valve. However, any check valve will fail when it is slamming closed every time the pump cycles off. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve to your pump will not only stop the check valve from slamming, but will give you strong constant pressure in the shower instead of cycling the pump on/off repeatedly, which also makes the pressure go up and down repeatedly. The CSV will not only make check valves last longer, but also the tank bladder, the pressure switch, and most especially the pump/motor.

5. Papote

Papote New Member

6. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    Stainless or bronze single poppet. You don't need silicon bronze or double check.

7. Papote

Papote New Member

Would stainless steel bet better than bronze or is the additional cost not worth it?

8. valveman

Pump Controls Technician
    There really is no good bronze anymore. When the government made us take the lead out of brass, it is now mostly copper and will flake off big green chunks like the Statue of Liberty. It also makes low lead brass more expensive, so now usually you can get Stainless for the same price or less. Stainless is not better than good old bronze, but is better than the low lead brass stuff we are stuck with.